Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Completed Lagoon Syle Pool - Conroe TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Completed Lagoon Syle Pool - Conroe TX

After getting into the nitty gritty with 4 pool builders we decided on Platinum Pools last week!

No the cheapest but we liked the added security of having a large company with a good reputation do the work. Cody Pools was a great second but platinum gave us a larger pool and waterfall for the same price.

I started with my own design which i sent to the builders we selected from Yelp/BBB/Google+ reviews.

Yes, NO spa! We are not "spa people" and would simply never use it.

My wife and I changed our view on what we wanted to pool to look like by talking to the different builders and banking of their experiences. Some changes we made:

- Eliminated the slide --> stupid expensive for what is in fact a novelty and would probably not be used much after the novelty wore off

- Eliminated beach entry and replaced with tanning ledge with gushers --> talking to some 'beach entry owners' found out that its a hot spot for critters to drink and for dirt to accumulate. Also PebbleTech (or similar different brands) cant be permanently out of the water. The beach entry would have to be made out of flagstone or something, which we didn't like. it breaks up the look of the pool and also increases the cost.

- Eliminated the tanning ledge on the left side --> We don't need two tanning ledges and this gives us more swimming real estate

- Eliminated planter next to the pool --> no need for extra dirt/leaves etc in the pool

- Eliminated benches under the waterfall --> we have kids who will inevitably jump off the waterfall and benches would cause a hazard.

- Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (and PV3 system tons of returns etc)

- Eliminated gas fire pit --> decided that $4000 was not worth it (long gas run) and that we like wood better anyway

- Eliminated any outdoor kitchen and living area plans for now. We want to have the pool built and then decide where all that fits best.

After a number of iterations with Platinum Pools, we signed off on this design:

The specs of the pool are:
    - max length: 41ft
    - max width: 24.5ft
    - depth: 3.5 - 8ft
    - 110ft perimeter
    - area: 714 sqft
    - volume: >25000 gallons
    - PV3 Infloor cleaning system
    - Wet Edge Pearl Matrix Chilean Beach Gold
    - 1341 sqft of concrete deck with Textured spay on coating
    - 10 ton moss rock waterfall
    - LED lighting

We move into the house in December. We should be ready to start in January!
    See my POOL!
    Free form pool, 128 ft perimeter, max length 42ft, max width 38.5 ft, depth 3.5 - 8ft, Chilean Beach Gold Pearl Matrix, 13 ton moss rock waterfall, tanning ledge with 3 gushers, PV3 i, LED underwater lights, automatic water leveling system, 1424 sqft deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool - Conroe TX

Welcome to the forum. Very nice renderings and that will be a beautiful pool. I am not a spa guy, either....at least there are two of us out there!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by s9601694
    - Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (Ozone + UV = huge reduction in chlorine use)
    This information you have gotten is bad. Your pool will generally not use less chlorine with ozone and uv, in fact it might actually use more. What ozone and uv do for you in an outdoor pool is seperate you from your money ...kidding aside, there is no need for ozone or uv in a typical outdoor residential pool.

As to the Saltwater chlorine generator (swg), if you are using a lot of natural stone, then a swg may not be the best choice...however equipment warranties will not be eliminated.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    - Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (Ozone + UV = huge reduction in chlorine use)
    This information you have gotten is bad. Your pool will generally not use less chlorine with ozone and uv, in fact it might actually use more. What ozone and uv do for you in an outdoor pool is seperate you from your money ...kidding aside, there is no need for ozone or uv in a typical outdoor residential pool.

As to the Saltwater chlorine generator (swg), if you are using a lot of natural stone, then a swg may not be the best choice...however equipment warranties will not be eliminated.

Yeah I've been reading that about Ozone/UV as well.. However I have been reading lots of positive also. In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't going to impact it much and i'm going to keep it in.

I understood that the pump manufacturer will void its warranty with a salt water pool.
    See my POOL!
    Free form pool, 128 ft perimeter, max length 42ft, max width 38.5 ft, depth 3.5 - 8ft, Chilean Beach Gold Pearl Matrix, 13 ton moss rock waterfall, tanning ledge with 3 gushers, PV3 i, LED underwater lights, automatic water leveling system, 1424 sqft deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

I understood that the pump manufacturer will void its warranty with a salt water pool.
    Which manufacturer? Pentair and Hayward do not...and I am not aware of others that do.

Yeah I've been reading that about Ozone/UV as well.. However I have been reading lots of positive also.
    Where and what? There is a lot of misinformation out there.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I will be following this build closely. I'm meeting with both Cody Pools and Platinum pools in January to get quotes.

Please let me know if you run into any problems/concerns (also any positves)
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123
    I will be following this build closely. I'm meeting with both Cody Pools and Platinum pools in January to get quotes.

Please let me know if you run into any problems/concerns (also any positves)
    Sure will!

See my POOL!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yeah I've been reading that about Ozone/UV as well.. However I have been reading lots of positive also. In the grand scheme of things the cost isn't going to impact it much and i'm going to keep it in.
    That is certainly your call and there is no harm in using UV + ozone. (there is also little benefit)

The problem you will run into is maintaining FC as low as they say you can and not get algae.....most owners aren't able to do that. You can google "alternative sanitizers" on here if you are interested.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Platinum Pool built our pool. Was happy with the work they did. No problems too date on the pool or equipment. I chose them much for the same reason you did. I recommend the Iaqualink. It has been awesome. Recently added a liquidator and shut off the chlorinator they installed. Good luck with the build. Lots of decisions and patient testing!
    13K IG Pool with Raised Spa
    Jandy E Pump- 2HP Variable Speed
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot

10. Back To Top    #10

Hello from Pearland Tx,

Thanks for posting build! I will be following this thread as we just had our first meeting with Cody PB. Needless to say we were impressed but we are still trying to recover from sticker shock.

We will be scheduling an appointment with Platinum pools soon.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123
    Hello from Pearland Tx,

Thanks for posting build! I will be following this thread as we just had our first meeting with Cody PB. Needless to say we were impressed but we are still trying to recover from sticker shock.

We will be scheduling an appointment with Platinum pools soon.
    Did you meet with Cory at Cody Pools? Good guy. We were looking forward to work with him.. But at the end of the day its value for money and in our case Platinum beat Cody..
    See my POOL!

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to the forum.

Agree 100% on the wood fire and no spa. I've taken some flak from people about how much we will regret not putting one in. I think the novelty wears off those too myself, certainly for the extra hassle, equipment, and cost. Wood fire...much better than watching a gas flame dance around IMO. Look forward to following your build.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

What is the size of the tanning ledge?
    34'x22', depths 3.5 x 5.5 x 3.5; ~9' spa, Walnut Travertine coping, Quartzscape;
    Equipment: 2hp Jandy pump, water feature pump, Jandy DE Filter, 400k BTU heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 Salt System;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80544338@N00/sets/72157641144436833/

14. Back To Top    #14

Like the others have said about the only thing a UV and Ozone system does for a typical outdoor pool is separate the owners from their money. UV and Ozone systems do have their place (indoor and high volume, high temperature therapy pools come to mind), but that place is not in a typical outdoor residential pool. The marketing for these systems are full of half truths, in a correctly balanced pool that does not have algae trying to grow in it they will typically increase chlorine use, only in a pool where you have algae growing and you are dumping in chlorine trying to kill it will they actually reduce the chlorine amount needed. Also UV and Ozone are no substitute for chlorine since they only kill things that pass through the UV cell or the ozone injection point, EPA rules require all Ozone on these systems to be fully inactive by the time the water reaches the return plumbing fitting, so they do nothing to help kill the stuff clinging to the sides of the pool.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Yakag97
    What is the size of the tanning ledge?
    Off the top of my head I believe it's around 8ft diameter

Status update: HOA approval in. Waiting on City of Conroe permit.

See my POOL!

16. Back To Top    #16

- Eliminated the slide --> stupid expensive for what is in fact a novelty and would probably not be used much after the novelty wore off
    Nooooooooo, say it's not so! Slide's are awesome!!
    I'm only kidding they really are quite expensive (I'm just biased as I have one and love it). We only had a few weeks of use of ours before the season ended but our 2 yr old (and his friends) absolutely loved it. I reckon we've got a good few years of it being used before he gets a bit older and won't want to use it any more.

Pool design looks great! Looks like you have a massive waterfall planned - it's going to be fantastic!
    Congrats on getting the approval from the HOA - looking forward to seeing progress.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

17. Back To Top    #17

Did you by chance get a quote from Aquascapes Pools & Spas out of Tomball?

18. Back To Top    #18

There are at least 3 "no spa" families out there. Very nice design

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by mcarrizal
    Did you by chance get a quote from Aquascapes Pools & Spas out of Tomball?
    I did not. There are so many builders out there!
    See my POOL!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by martinkennedy
    There are at least 3 "no spa" families out there. Very nice design

THanks!

And good to know we're not the only 'weird ones'!
    See my POOL!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast