After getting into the nitty gritty with 4 pool builders we decided on Platinum Pools last week!
No the cheapest but we liked the added security of having a large company with a good reputation do the work. Cody Pools was a great second but platinum gave us a larger pool and waterfall for the same price.
I started with my own design which i sent to the builders we selected from Yelp/BBB/Google+ reviews.
Yes, NO spa! We are not "spa people" and would simply never use it.
My wife and I changed our view on what we wanted to pool to look like by talking to the different builders and banking of their experiences. Some changes we made:
- Eliminated the slide --> stupid expensive for what is in fact a novelty and would probably not be used much after the novelty wore off
- Eliminated beach entry and replaced with tanning ledge with gushers --> talking to some 'beach entry owners' found out that its a hot spot for critters to drink and for dirt to accumulate. Also PebbleTech (or similar different brands) cant be permanently out of the water. The beach entry would have to be made out of flagstone or something, which we didn't like. it breaks up the look of the pool and also increases the cost.
- Eliminated the tanning ledge on the left side --> We don't need two tanning ledges and this gives us more swimming real estate
- Eliminated planter next to the pool --> no need for extra dirt/leaves etc in the pool
- Eliminated benches under the waterfall --> we have kids who will inevitably jump off the waterfall and benches would cause a hazard.
- Changed from salt to chlorine with Ozone and UV --> after hearing of all the cons of salt (eliminated warranties, deteriorating moss rock, etc) and the pros of the newest chlorine technology (and PV3 system tons of returns etc)
- Eliminated gas fire pit --> decided that $4000 was not worth it (long gas run) and that we like wood better anyway
- Eliminated any outdoor kitchen and living area plans for now. We want to have the pool built and then decide where all that fits best.
After a number of iterations with Platinum Pools, we signed off on this design:
The specs of the pool are:
- max length: 41ft
- max width: 24.5ft
- depth: 3.5 - 8ft
- 110ft perimeter
- area: 714 sqft
- volume: >25000 gallons
- PV3 Infloor cleaning system
- Wet Edge Pearl Matrix Chilean Beach Gold
- 1341 sqft of concrete deck with Textured spay on coating
- 10 ton moss rock waterfall
- LED lighting
We move into the house in December. We should be ready to start in January!