Just Joined!

Beau1k

Nov 26, 2013
Hey all...love forums and found this one on the google :mrgreen:

Just bought a house last year and I now own my first hole in the ground with water in it.

When we took possession it was a dark green mosquito hatchery.

I have since only replaced the pool pump...that's working well...now I just bought a Pentair QUAD D.E. filter...looks sweet but of course an unexpected problem arose...inlets and outlets are reverse of how they are on my existing setup! BUT...the saving grace is that I do have a multi-valve.

That being said...how redneck of me is it to just run it in backwash mode instead of filter mode so I don't have to buy a new multivalve?! :whoot:

:cheers: :goodjob:

Welcome! :wave:

Besides running the water backwards through the filter, backwash also dumps the dirty water overboard, as stated above. So the plumbing is not that simple. But the DE is supposed to go on the outside of the screens, and running it in backwash mode and charging it would just pack the screens full and probably blow them apart and then you'd have an even bigger mess. The way things are now, a lot of the heavier stuff falls off the screens and settles in the bottom. If the filtering happened on the interior surface, stuff would just accumulate in the grids.

PVC fittings are cheap. If you use the search box for terms like primer and glue, you'll find plenty of tips.

Hey thanks for the warm welcome and advice everybody!! :cheers:

I'm not afraid of the plumbing...I guess it's more that I didn't want to have to buy a new multi-valve...I guess I could frankenstein it with some 90's and make it work :shock:

I just liked how streamlined all the plumbing looks at the moment...if I do some pipe juggling I COULD make it work I guess :blah:

OH...also...wasn't really clear in the manual for my new filter...does this thing come pre-filled with D.E. or do I need to fill it :roll: Pentair Quad 60 Cartridge Style D.E

It says PRE-MIX the D.E. and pour directly into the skimmer?!?! I guess I don't get why pre-mix when there's already so much water flowing through there :|

Beau1k said:
OH...also...wasn't really clear in the manual for my new filter...does this thing come pre-filled with D.E. or do I need to fill it :roll: Pentair Quad 60 Cartridge Style D.E

It says PRE-MIX the D.E. and pour directly into the skimmer?!?! I guess I don't get why pre-mix when there's already so much water flowing through there :|
No, it's not filled.

The premix is so it doesn't blow away. DE is an inhalation hazard. It's also a mess if it gets somewhere you don't want it, so measure it in the bucket over the lawn or something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.