Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a recommendation for replacing pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a recommendation for replacing pump motor

I need to replace my single-speed WhisperFlo WFE-4 1HP pump motor.
    The motor is 1.65SF on 230VAC.
    The pipes are 1.5" and the pool size is 20,000 gallon.
    I used to have solar panels, but since I removed them, I don't think I need such a powerful motor any more.

Can you please recommend a two-speed motor replacement?
    20,000 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool; 2-speed 1HP Pentair SuperFlo pump; Hayward Perfex EC65A 27 Sq ft DE Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a recommendation for replacing pump motor

The century B2982 motor is a good 2-speed replacement (or the B2982T which has a timer attached). Assuming you have no other water features that require high flow rates, another option would be to decrease the impeller size and go with an even smaller 2-speed motor (such as the B2980).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the advice. How can I decide if I need a 3/4 or 1 HP motor?

My pool is 40 years old. I don't have any water features. The pool has two return outlets. The pool equipment is at ground level and 10 ft from skimmer. Currently I use robotic cleaner, but I may want in the future to go back to a skimmer pressure cleaner.
    20,000 gallon outdoor in-ground plaster pool; 2-speed 1HP Pentair SuperFlo pump; Hayward Perfex EC65A 27 Sq ft DE Filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am assuming you are asking if you should drop down the impeller and motor size down from what you have now?

If yes, then from the flow requirements you shared, you can probably get by with the smallest 2-speed available for your pump which is a 3/4 hp full-rated motor and save a little electricity. This is the century B2980 (or the B2980T with timer...or bobo's idea and then the EB2980T), . However this will also require buying the smaller 3/4 hp impeller, pentair part number 073127.

Additionally you will need to replace the shaft seal regardless if you change the impeller or not.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you again linen for your quick reply. Do I need both the WhisperFlo Pump Seal Kit Go-Kit 32-9 (http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Go-Kit-32 ... 001F5S1YQ/) and the WhisperFlo Pump Seal Plate Gasket 357102 G-413 (http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-WhisperFl ... 001F1YC4S/)?

7. Back To Top    #7

I am not positive on the kit you linked, but typically the go-kits include all of the o-rings needed.

8. Back To Top    #8

I ended up buying the Superflo 2-speed pump that was recommended elsewhere on the site and followed the electrical wiring instructions in 2-speed-pump-wiring-questions-please-help-asap-t57499.html. Pump works great. It's extremely quiet at low speed!

Thanks a lot for the advice and for maintaining this website.