New build in Orlando FL

Nov 25, 2013
Orlando, FL
Hello all,
I'm new to the site and to pool ownership. I'm still selecting a contractor for a gunite in ground pool around 15k gallons. I'd love to hear suggestions especially from anyone in Florida. SWG or not and why? Can I buy a solar heater and install it myself? What's the best one out there? Please offer any advice to a noob you can think of...
Great site. Keep up the good work...

PilotAlso said:
My wife and I went with All Seasons Pools. Our salesman, Frank, did a great job assisting us with our first pool.

We live in Davenport by Disney. You're welcome to come out and have a look.

I'll call them for a quote. Did you screen it in? How'd your first season go. Is it heated? How did their price compare to any other quotes you got? Any other info you think might be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Trying not to make any mistakes...

Beer Tunnel,

They had the best price by far. To the point we investigated whether they cut corners compared to others.

Funny but last Fall we were in the exact same place as you. Fiberglass was very tempting but quite a bit more expensive than our gunite built by All Seasons.

Same with our decision about the decking. We were surprised to find out that pavers were less expensive thru them than poured. We love our pavers. We did go with a poured coping so we wouldn't have paver joints at the pool edge.

We went with a typical Florida screen enclosure about 40'x 30'. It keeps the pool clean and is almost like adding an addition to the house. We use it all the time to hang out, cook, and (oh ya) SWIM.

Our pool is free form with an attached spa. We've used the spa just about every day so far this fall. As listed below, both are lined with Stonescapes finish in Mini-Tropics Blue with abalone shell enhancement. It looks fantastic sparkling in the sun.

Frank led us through the selection process and hit a home run for us. FWIW our "out the door price" was just under $40,000. Everything included.

Would not change items:

Salt water chlorine generator. So far the Jandy 1400 (rated for a much larger pool than ours) is maintaining chlorine levels perfectly (once I got the hang of fine tuning it based on weather/usage).

Stonescapes min-pebble. We love the look and feel. Some might find it a little rough on the skin. Very easy to maintain. With the screen room, we haven't had to do anything but brush it on occasion and vacuum it a few times.

Canister filter. A little more cost but with the screen room keeping debri from the pool it hasn't even needed cleaning since our start up last spring.

I-Aqualink. Works great to access all controls. As long as it has WIRED access to the internet. We found the wireless was less than perfect. Once we used a Network via Powerline adapter to connect to our router it HAS been perfect.

Pavers. We love the look

Might change if doing over again:

Hot tub/spa would be shrunk to 6' instead of 7'. Most of the time it's just my wife and I using it. This would keep the heating costs down.

We went with a large 400,000 btu LP heater (we can have the spa up to temp in 20 minutes). LP isn't a cheap way to heat the pool/spa so we only heat the spa after regular swim season. We might look into adding a solar heating system when our budget recovers from the initial build. Probably should have added at the start.

Bottom line is that we have fully enjoyed out pool this first season. It's been less trouble to maintain than I could have imagined. Check the pool chemistry every day or somewhere around there. Make adjustments where required (I will say that we add Muriatic acid every few days because of our waterfall feature and the SWCG). You are good to go.

Wow, thanks pilot also!!

I'll call them ASAP. We are going more basic with no spa and screen enclosure, so I'm hoping to stay in the low to mid $20's. I'll definitely go with the salt system. Do you heat the pool or just the spa? I'm wondering how long my swim season will be without heat. Also considering solar to add a few months. If we decide to go with All Seasons I might take you up on checking out your pool in person. Are you a pilot? I work for JetBlue...

Private pilot, instrument rated, a little over 2500 hrs. My wife and I own a Cherokee 235. Love flying but boy is it getting expensive. Probably selling soon.

Anyway, we didn't heat the pool or spa all summer. When the pool was completed it was still pretty cool so we heated it up a few times to "try it out" but we burned through our 100 gallon LP tank in short order. Refills are in the $3XX.00 range. We now consider heating the pool to be a luxury to be used only for special occasions.

I'd love to hear from someone in the area to find out how solar really works. I never really thought about a heat pump based on our desire to have a spa (the pump takes too darn long to bring it up to temp). That might be the better option if you want lesser costs.

My wife and I like high 80's pool temp. During the summer we'd usually start at about 83-84 and climb to high 80's by late afternoon. A pool without the screen room diffusing light will heat up more given the same location.

We use a thermal blanket on the spa. We tried one on the pool when we heated it but it was so cumbersome it was unworkable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in Orlando and I am just finishing up a pool build. I talked to a few builders and went with Atlas Pools as we had a pretty intricate setup that I wanted to make sure was done right. I wasn't looking for the cheapest builder in Orlando, but looked for the best quality.

Check out my build thread new-pool-build-orlando-fl-updated-11-4-13-t70333.html I need to update it with the latest pics when I get back into town, but it is impressive to say the least. I spoke to every contractor that came on site and they all work with other builders as well, but they all said the same thing "we love working with Atlas". They mentioned they get paid on time from Atlas and they are always prepared. The build has gone great and everything we wanted has been done, many times better than they said or that we expected.

Contact Steve at 407-947-4137 and tell him Louis sent you. He can show what he did for us so you get ideas. Also if you want to come check it out let me know, we live in east Orlando.

Here is one picture I had on my phone. I will update my post on Monday with better pics.
IMG_0180_zpsf0c366b7.jpg

Hello,
We have a 17K pool that came with the house in Lakeland, FL. It has a heat pump that we use to get a start on the season. We swim from Feb through Nov. We don't use it year round because we don't have a cover. I added a SWCG best money spent. Get the largest unit you can. They typically rate the unit's output for a 24 hour period and you'll only need to run your pool pump for much less. (Mine runs 12 hours to produce enough chlorine during the heat of the summer, 4-6 hours in the winter.)
I don't have a spa.
Here in Florida because electricity isn't all that expensive you'll be best served by a two-speed pump. A variable speed motor you won't recoup the price difference in energy savings.
Our pool isn't covered. We have a robotic pool cleaner I run every couple of days. He gets out most of the leaves no problem.
If you have the time I'd get the concrete pool vice fiberglass, but it comes down to personal choice.
Good luck with your build.

Just got another bid from Bob's pools in Orlando. Rep says for a smaller pool (12-15k gallons) with no hot tub and just a few water features a 2-speed pump would be fine. What's the consensus on 2-speed vs variable speed pumps? Would a variable speed be worth the extra up front cost on smallish, basic pool setup?

Would a variable speed be worth the extra up front cost on smallish, basic pool setup?
Usually not. The smaller your pool and the less your electric rate, VS pumps don't return your investment very well.

Of course, you have the flexibility of really tuning in your flow rate with a VS but, as a rule, a 2-speed pays you back fairly quickly and a VS generally does not.

I'd go with the two speed for your setup. Makes more sense. We got the variable speed based on our spa. We can customize the water flow through the jets which works well for us. Other then that, for filtration, you just vary the run time of the two speed dependent on load and time of year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.