Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing kit overseas - extra reagents.

1. Back To Top    #1

Purchasing kit overseas - extra reagents.

So I am planning to purchase a kit from http://www.saltwaterpoolparts.com/taylor-testkits.html because they also do borate test strips which I also can't seem to find here in Australia. On that page they have a listing of extra reagents also available for sale.

I am wondering if I should get some extra items thrown in and if so which ones people think might get used up quickly.
    7400 gallon, IG vinyl, .75HP, Cartridge, Zodiac Chlor Perfect chlorinator. Almost finished building :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purchasing kit overseas - extra reagents.

What test kit do you own or are ordering?

If it's the K2006 then I'd suggest extra R-0871 for the FAS/DPD testing. I'd also suggest extra CYA reagent, as you'll use that up quickly.

3. Back To Top    #3

saltwaterpoolparts.com looks to be the same company as poolvacparts.com which has been mentioned in other threads with regard to getting stuff in Australia.

Totally agree with Leebo, R-0871 (FAS DPD) and R-0013 (CYA) reagents are the ones of which you should get extra.
    Also, buy the largest size CYA reagent as it's double the volume for only $2 more and the shipping is, I believe, a flat fee.

I would suggest the K-2006 with the extra reagents noted above as the best idea.
    I got the 2006C (larger reagents from the get go) because I got a good deal, but will still be getting more of the R0871 and R0013.
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...
    in Adelaide, Australia...

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys.

Leebo - I was looking at the K-2006C but as suggested it might be a better option to go with the 2006 and get some extra reagents.
    7400 gallon, IG vinyl, .75HP, Cartridge, Zodiac Chlor Perfect chlorinator. Almost finished building :)

5. Back To Top    #5

The 60ml reagents for TA, acid and base demand, are likely to go to waste as I don't use them as much.
    The extra $45 of the 'C' kit would be better spent on the extra reagents. I got a 2006C for $75 otherwise I would have done the same!

If you have an issue with CH (I did) then that reagent (R-0012) goes down fast initially, but now I have sorted that, I don't see it being used as often. Even at a 350ppm CH you will get 12 tests out of the K2006 which should be plenty for the season.
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...

6. Back To Top    #6

Thankyou AdelaidePooler - gives me something to consider.

7. Back To Top    #7

Is your pool vinyl? If so skip those refills?

8. Back To Top    #8

Ah. Of course, CH is only really an issue if you have a tiled or plaster pool.
    As you have a liner pool (looked at past posts) that makes that issue effectively null and void.

afljafa, have you got any pool details at this stage to put in your signature?
    Steven

9. Back To Top    #9

To save reagent too for any CH test, use these directions from Taylor.

* When high CH is anticipated, this procedure may be used: Use
    10 mL sample, 10 drops R-0010, 3 drops R-0011L, and multiply
    drops in Step 4 by 25.
    I would still use 5 drops however of r-0011 as it helps with the colors more, but for this test jumps of 25ppm are close enough 90% of the time.

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep. I should sort out my sig.

It's a small 28KL pool (I feel a little inadequate ) - inground vinyl with a Zodiac Chlor Perfect chlorine injection system. Cartridge filter. I am still building it (almost done at the paving stage).

11. Back To Top    #11

I used 10ml samples on occasion, but even so I've been romping through it, as I've not been getting the expected changes, for a given Calcium addition (coming up low), hence I was testing a bit more than normal to make sure I wasn't making errors, adding more and then retesting etc...

However, that won't be afljafa's problem!

afljafa, Any pool has to be better than no pool!

It's not the size it's what you do with it, so my wife assures me. I think she's talking about my 4 burner grill, when I say I want a 6 burner and pizza oven, but anyway...

...mine is large but the landscaping is a mess and so it doesn't get the use it should. And the weather's only just got to 34C / 93F this week. So a bit chill yet for swimming.
    Steven

12. Back To Top    #12

Oh yeh - a pizza oven is on the todo list. My partner thinks the Baby Webber is just fine.

I am not sure she understands the male minds need to build stuff

13. Back To Top    #13

I want a wood fired one, but I'm in a bush fire area, so it would need to be attended from initial light up to fully extinguished. So all the residual heat would be totally wasted. Not to mention the 4m from combustible anything requirement which makes locating it pretty tough.
    Steven

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi, just wondering if the R-0871 from that site would also suit the TF100 kit, are all the regents compatible?

Thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

The TF100 uses all Taylor reagents so the tests that are the same in both kits have identical reagents except for size when noted.

Same reagents work for both kits. The TF100 just gives you more reagent for more tests. If you can't get the TF100 (if you're down under) then these refills work just the same.

16. Back To Top    #16

So I ordered the kit with extra reagents about three weeks ago from saltwaterpoolparts and it arrived today. My results where -

CYA 40
    PH 7.6
    Cl 6.0
    CC 0.6
    TA 110

For an inground vinyl pool using an ORP chlorinator. I had noticed a few algae spots on the walls earlier in the week so I did bump up the chlorine set point however up until now I have been flying a little blind.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Is the Algae still visible?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm not sure. At the moment I am finishing off the paving so I noticed it in a few spots. I haven't really been brushing the sides down as the pool is still in the building phase. I will look tomorrow.

19. Back To Top    #19

First, I would suggest you use the 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD test and not a 25ml sample. This save reagent and make each drop 0.5ppm instead of 0.2ppm.

Given that you have previously seen algae, and you report a CC of 0.6ppm (which is more than 1 drop), that fails 2 of the 3 criteria and points to requiring the SLAM Process. Luckily, your CYA is reasonable, so you can get started right away. Note this process is usually done with the SWG off by manually adding FC using bleach.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok I will give it a go.

I had thought I was doing the 0.5ml test and only realised I was doing the 0.2ml test when I started getting up to 20 drops , wont make that mistake again. It has been hitting around the 40 C (114 F) mark this week leading up to Christmas and I don't have the blanket on because I haven't paved the roller area yet. I presume I don't need to touch the CYA as it seems right for the vinyl pool?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast