Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rebar tied to Steel-tex - Does this look ok to you?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rebar tied to Steel-tex - Does this look ok to you?

Hello! I'm new here and am so glad to have found this community!

We have a new build in south Florida. As is typical here, the PB over-dug the hole, built a very basic frame and hung covered wire mesh ("steel-tex") as a form. He then put in rebar (#3 at 12"), but here comes the concern: the rebar is very close to the steel-tex form and tied to it without any spacer as they've put on the floor (see below).

Won't that result in the rebar being too close to the back of the wall of the pool rather than in the center??

I'm asking the PB too of course, but was hoping to get some additional, impartial feedback here!

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (159.0 KB, 181 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (175.8 KB, 180 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (187.9 KB, 181 views)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rebar tied to Steel-tex - Does this look ok to you?

Welcome to the forum Loriot.

I'd be lying if I gave you an answer, but I certainly see your concern. Hope someone answers you soon with something better.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hey, Loriot,

Welcome to the forum.

Using the steel-tex then the rebar is somewhat unusual.....I don't think I've seen that before on the forum. Nevertheless, I see exactly what you are talking about and your PB will likely have a good explanation.

Most rebar meshes I have seen are done up against bare dirt but most do seem to stand-off the dirt a bit to accomplish getting the rebar right in the middle. Honestly, I am not sure it is very critical but I do think the PB should provide you a common sense answer.

If there is a benefit, the rebar will be buried pretty deep within the gunite so the rebar protruding into the pool surface (which is actually somewhat common) should not be an issue
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If my memory is correct you want no less than 1-1/2 inches between the edge of concrete and rebar.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jasonknox
    If my memory is correct you want no less than 1-1/2 inches between the edge of concrete and rebar.
    Im not sure of the regulations in the US, but here in Australia, this is correct as the gunite will then protect the reo from corrosion.
    Id highly doubt that the regulations would be too different in this regard.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to all who posted on this topic! I reviewed it with the PB and am satisfied that everything is being done to high standards. You can't be too careful...

Everything you see in the pictures above was buried in concrete today!