Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt and borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt and borates

So I have a test kit, and it all works just brilliantly. But I needed a salt test so I went for the strips as folks on here say they work.

Well I had a fair idea what my salt should be, I had added close to what I thought I needed but wanted to check so I bought some of he Aqua Check strips.

I bought them from Bunnings (Home Depot equivalent) Now I don't know whether getting their stock to Australia has ruined them, but they don't work for me at all. They read 1700ppm salt when I KNOW I have a least 4000'and should be 4200

I went to two pool stores (they are always keen to sell me salt) and had them check it... 4200, same result from each.

So I took the strips back and got a new pot... At $13 for 10 I wasn't just going to chuck them out!
    Well the new ones give me the same 1700ppm reading.

They are still in date, what could be wrong with them? I assume I haven't got the test procedure wrong... Put the strip in water until the string goes dark.

And interestingly, the second pool shop (that uses an Accuscan thing) says that I have 18 ppm borates in the water, under their name of "Optimiser"! I've never knowingly used anything with borates in it, what could it be? A test error on their part?

Any thoughts appreciated
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...
    in Adelaide, Australia...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt and borates

Something could have happened during shipping that ruined the whole shipment but that's unlikely.
    What brand strips are they?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Aqua Chek, exactly the same as the ones for sale on tftestkits.net, made in the USA.
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...

4. Back To Top    #4

That's odd for sure.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I took the first pot back to a different store from the one at which I actually purchased them to get it replaced with a the second pot, the dates and lot numbers on them are different too.
    I'll take the second pot back this evening for a refund, and for the occasions I need to check the salt I'll have to take it to the pool shop. I was hoping to do it all myself, but it's not that big a deal.

In other news, I found the source of the borates...

Before I let the Hallowed Light of Pool Knowledge into my life I had on occasion used the BioGuard poolshop's "Power Chlor" granular chlorine product, and while I was aware that it contained stabiliser, I was NOT aware that it also contained their "Optimiser".
    I have just confirmed this with the pool shop, I looked for an MSDS but couldn't find one, and the website makes little mention of the chemical compositions of their products, save for the amount of available chlorine per kg. I happened to look at "Optimiser" in the shop, it's basically 100% boric acid. For $20 per kg.
    Steven

6. Back To Top    #6

Interesting - I'm bringing in some salt test reagents from the states as I had the same problem with those salt test strips from the bunnies.
    Brand new 30,000 Litre (~8000Gal) inground Leisure Pools fibreglass, Astral Pool Viron 3 speed 1.5Hp P320 pump, Hurlcon VX 3 T SWCG, Hurlcon ZX100 cartridge filter.
    Two mustard algae events, lots of bad pool store advice - double the salt level it should be (sigh), large amounts of copper based algaecide, 50 litres of 12.5% liquid chlorine, 2 litres of clarifier. $300 in chemicals in two weeks.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Of course, we sell the Aqua check salt strips. It is impractical (usually) for y'all in Australia to buy them from us. I wish it we're not.

We've probably carried them for 4-6 years and have sold enough year after year to get a good feeling about them. I seem to vaguely remember a bottle about 2 years ago that we replaced. Couldn't ever find the problem but customer said new bottle solved the issue. Other than that.....nothing that I can remember.

That gives us a return rate of way less than .1%. I'll check with Meg later but I believe that return rate to be correct.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School