Trying to source a leak

Jul 30, 2011
San Jose, Ca
I performed the bucket test and found I am losing 1/2 an inch of water a day (15k gallon fiberglass pool). It appears to lose water the most at night after the pump is off (added water in the morning and did not notice any water loss in the evening). From search of previous threads, I may be losing water from a leak at the skimmer? Below are pictures I took near the basket. It appears the old seal has deteriorated and even missing in some areas. Next I turned off the pump. When the water was still, I squirted some red food color near the holes at the edge of the basket missing the seal. Didn't see the food coloring get sucked in. The food coloring just stayed suspended in the water. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Does it lose the same amount of water no mater if the pump is running or not?
May try plugging all plumbing lines in the pool to make sure it's not the plumbing. ( skimmers, returns, vac lines)
What type of filter do you have?
Have you checked the light niche?

Bama Rambler said:
Have you tried letting it leak until it stops and see if it stops at the bottom of the skimmer?

I have a Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump. Do I need to turn off all equipment and just let it leak til below skimmer and observe if water lever continues to leak? Or keep the pump at regular schedule? I'm guessing the pump will shut off once it cannot get prime.

uncfan1573 said:
Does it lose the same amount of water no mater if the pump is running or not?
May try plugging all plumbing lines in the pool to make sure it's not the plumbing. ( skimmers, returns, vac lines)
What type of filter do you have?
Have you checked the light niche?

I have a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter.

Safe to shut off the pump for 24hours to check if water lose is the same as pump running half the day?

I will try plugging to test to rule out the plumbing. Have not checked the light niche. How to test that area? Thanks.

Where do you live? What type of weather do you have right now?
You can take the light out by unscrewing the set screw ( should be one single screw in the top middle). And the light will come out. You can put die down in the niche and see if it sucks into the conduit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.