Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Entire Pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

Entire Pool build

I first will say I have been a lurker on this site for over a year now. I thought it was time to post up my pool build. This wasn't our first pool but it was the first pool build we have experienced. We started looking for builders in November 2012 and found a builder in February 2013. April 19th was the day we broke ground. I have many picutres (over 500) that document the build but will only show 37 to keep it as short as I can.

Lime stone was on the ground so the entire build was using a breaker

after two weeks of house rattling forms are up

Most of the rebar

Plumbing completed

Gunite, Texas Gray Lueders for coping, Texas mix for spa, and Marcelo putting up 6" NPT tile

Decking. We are on a PUE. The walkway and pool are right on the PUE line

Natural Concrete with salt finish

Equipment installed

Quartzscape French Gray and pool filling
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Entire Pool build

18 yards of Sandy Loam as base

After the sandy loam the entire landscape was done by myself. I did rent this fun little machine. That day we got 6" of rain and the pool got close to overflowing. The first time I used the backwash hose it blew up in my face. I used this dingo to move 35 yards of rock. 13 yards of mulch and 9 yards of top soil.

Because of the PUE and unable to put decking on that side of the pool I put down 35 yards of Llano River Rock

redoing sprinkers, and hardlining the backwash

being in a flash flood prone area I had the decking guys install two 4" pipes under the walkway I also installed the backwash pipe to the drainage pipes

Backwash glass installed and works!

mulch beds and 2" of premium top soil for the grass

3 pallets of St. Augustine Palmetto

Grass, The Texas Mix looks out of place in these pictures. The reason I used Texas Mix is because on the front of the house it has texas mix flagstone. Just not in the back

Mackenzie enjoying having her backyard back
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

3. Back To Top    #3

Entire Pool build

Welcome to TFP !!
    Very very nice looking pool !!I'm sure it will see a lot of use.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Welcome to TFP !!
    Very very nice looking pool !!I'm sure it will see a lot of use.
    Thanks! Trust me it I am in it almost everyday! The main requirement we gave to the pool builders was a free form lap pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice work on that landscaping. Very nice! If my pool ever gets finished, which hopefully will be sometime next week, I will also be doing all of my own landscaping. Every inch of it by myself.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd say welcome JonnyB, but I already did that elsewhere. Thanks for posting up your build. Looks like they built you a fine pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave
    Nice work on that landscaping. Very nice! If my pool ever gets finished, which hopefully will be sometime next week, I will also be doing all of my own landscaping. Every inch of it by myself.
    Thanks! I had many delays and mistakes that set the pool build back. Doing your own landscaping is extremely satisfying! Knowing that its all up to you. Your no longer relying on or in my case just hoping they show up. Everyone asks if I would do it all over and of course I would. I did all the work in 100+ degree days and would do it all over again.

8. Back To Top    #8

I like that backwash sightglass...a lot. I may have to find one of those.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    I like that backwash sightglass...a lot. I may have to find one of those.
    its a hayward part. I have the 2" version.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is my list of headaches from the pool build.

1. Pool layout on ground was wrong. Should have been 8' from fence and was 14'. Pool builder didn't believe me.
    2. Excavator dumped too much rock in the pool before rebar where the pool should have been 4.5 feet it was 18" again I was wrong.
    3. Decking was installed into the PUE even tho I had a landscape line up to show the PUE and not to go into it.
    4. Rebar decking was not tied together so failed inspection on a Friday. Concrete guys never showed SO ended up spending that Sunday tying up all the rebar to pass the Monday inspection (yes my work passed)
    5. Pool builder called in for the wrong inspection and concrete was almost poured. If I didn't look up the permit the concrete would have had been removed.

I have more little things but those were the big issues I can think of.

11. Back To Top    #11

I know my list will be coming and I dread it. Seems like it's impossible for any homeowner's big project to go perfectly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: