Pump shuts off after 10-20 seconds

May 26, 2013
Hi guys. I'm new to this pool thing, so I have no idea what to do. Hope someone can help.

This morning, the pump is off, so I went to clean the basket (the one attached to the pump). After I opened the basket lid for maybe 5 seconds, the pump started to run. I ran to the on/off switch and turned the pump off. It ran dry for maybe 3-4 seconds. I turned it back on and it ran for maybe 5 seconds and shut itself off. I went to breakfast and let it cool thinking it was due to some thermal protection and it turned on for another 30 seconds before shutting off again. The pump seems to run fine and no excessive noise when it was on.

Now, my question is:
1. It was strange that the pump was turned on but not running before I opened the basket. why is this so?
2. is the pump damaged? What can I do to diagnose this?
3. how do I get it to start again?

Thank you!

It is probably the thermal protection circuit kicking in. This usually happens when the motor is overloaded by either an impeller restriction or bearing failure. I would take the pump wet end apart and inspect the impeller and diffuser. At the same time, you can spin the motor shaft and see if it feels like there is any friction in the bearings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.