Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Bubbles

1. Back To Top    #1

No Bubbles

Hi, I have a question that is probably pretty obvious but I need confirmation pleez. We had a small leak at the connection where the t-fitting is where the tubing leads up to the ozonator, so he decided since the ozonator is old and not producing ozone to just replace the entire line without the fitting and connection to the ozonator. At some point we noticed there's no bubbles coming from the bottom where the heat comes out any more..he thinks the circulation pump is bad and I think it's because the ozonator is disconnected. We can't recall if the bubbles stopped right after he disconnected it or later.. any thoughts?
    As always, thank you,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No Bubbles

Ozonators produce bubbles because they bring in air, create ozone from some of the oxygen in the air, and inject that into the water. You can check circulation using other techniques such as a tiny amount of non-staining dye (the type used to check for leaks in pools).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Does he think the circulation pump is bad because there's no flow coming out or just no bubbles coming out?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Check for kinks/blockage of the ozone tubing. The check valve can also fail completely sealing itself shut. The ozone injector can clog as well.
    Hot Springs certified service tech A
    APSP CST Certified
    CPO Certified

5. Back To Top    #5

He thought the circ pump was bad because there's no bubbles coming out. But the heated water comes up from the return/drain in the bottom well just fine even though there's no bubbles coming up from there any more, and the heater has no problems keeping the temperature stable. The flow that comes up from the return/drain is very subtle and imo I don't think it has changed but he thinks it might be weaker . There's flow into the filter compartment from a small tubing that I believe is powered by the circ pump. It hums and is warm to the touch, so it's not dead. It's nine years old and my husband is wondering if they push water in a weakened state when they get old, or do they just poop out.

I think based on what CG said above, it's the ozonator that causes the bubbles to come up; therefore when one disconnects it from the plumbing, there's no other means for bubbles to be made and they stop.
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is correct. It sounds like there's nothing wrong now.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit