Pool dirty on a daily basis

Jan 9, 2012
Argentina
Hi All

Been having issues recently with keeping our pool clean. I`ve attached a photo of the problem. I think its the remains of algae that was the cause of a slightly green pool about a month ago and it collects underneath the outlet jets.
I`ve been more careful with regular chlorine testing but I cant seem to get rid of this brown dust and cloudy pool.

I have a sand filter, and usually do a suction clean a couple of times a week. Then I do a backwash for 2-3mins and a rinse for 30secs. I`ve also left the pump running for 3-4 hours a day and pushing the debris towards the filter with a long handled brush.
I`ve also started vacuuming to drain to clean up these patches you can see in the photo. Is this the correct method, it does seem to be reducing. Just not quite sure exactly what I`m doing as we`ve only moved into the house the last 6 months.
We do live in an area thats quite prone to dust, so perhaps its something connect to that?

Thanks

J

Attachments

• pool_dirt.jpg
    pool_dirt.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 77
Often when this happens, and it happens a lot, the problem is insufficient chlorine. You have algae trying to grow, but the chlorine is killing most of it.

If you are only running your pump 3-4 hours a day, you need to run it a lot more than that.

Post your water chemistry numbers and we can advise you better.

I agree, you likely need to follow the SLAM Process as your water certainly does not look clear. You need to ensure that everything is dead and filtered out.

And only backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

ok thanks. I think i`m on top of it then. I was checking the chlorine levels and they were very low, but now this week its up to the correct levels and the water quality is improving.

Question about cleaning, should the sand filter capture all of that debris if i have the filter set to just filter when vacuuming , or should i keep cleaning it straight to drain in the really dirty areas? And then do the rest of the pool just on filter?

The filter will still catch the debris, you'll just have to backwash the filter more often.

Can you post a set of accurate test numbers? Although your water is clearing, you probably still need to go through the SLAM process to get rid of all the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.