Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Repair

My Hayward pump needed a rebuild last spring. I sent my pump to a well advertised pump repair company online, all over U-tube, that sells pump repair kits and ended up having to get my money recouped through my credit card company's fraud section. I should have done my research but I let my guard down.

Does anyone out there know of a reputable company that rebuilds pool pumps of sells rebuild kits?

Thank you in advance,

IGVP 20X40 30,000
    Hayward 1.5gpm Superpump
    Blue Pearl Robotic Cleaner
    Dad, can we go in yet?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Repair

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear your bad luck. Someone here may have a suggestion, sorry I don't.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

What exactly do you need repaired? Anything beyond a capacitor or maybe bearings and it almost does not seem worth it to repair ... if even possible.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

+1 what jblizzle said.

If you're handy and want to mess with it, we can help here with bearings and capacitors and seals.

Beyond that a pool repair place may charge you somewhat close to new pump price and you'd still have an old pump.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Bearings for in a Hayward 1.5gpm Superpump...I think...they started making noise at the end of pool season and slowly increased in noise.
    IGVP 20X40 30,000
    Hayward 1.5gpm Superpump
    Blue Pearl Robotic Cleaner
    Dad, can we go in yet?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

I really need to do a "How to" the next time I do bearings...

If you're handy, they're very doable. You can buy them from a pool supply place (search pool pump bearings on Google), or you can buy sealed bearings from any industrial supply place as long as you can match them. When I did mine a couple years ago, I took the pump apart, and pulled the old bearings off. There was a number stamped on the seal, and I was able to match them on Grainger's website. Less than $20 for the pair.

You'll need a cheap puller, and to put them back on you'll need access to a press (the better way) or you can hammer them on with a piece of black pipe (the way I did it).

There are lots of videos on YouTube that can give you a little more visual on how it's done.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7
    Pleasanton, CA

There are a ton of bearing replacement videos on YouTube: ... rings&sm=3
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner