Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: time for new plaster . . .

1. Back To Top    #1

time for new plaster . . .

Our pool was lined with pale-grey "swirly-looking" Marcite 17 years ago and it's time for new lining.
    I was interested in Pebble-sheen, but the all the certified installers I've been talking to said that the product is too expensive and two of them have suggested the products from Wet Edge Technology as an alternative. Wet-edge has a polished surface that looks like terazzo that is very expensive too due to the need for post-cure polishing, but we actually are favoring their basic quartz enhanced material and not using any pebble-type finish at all.
    They said that the pools with the high-end finish polished finishes are usually very elaborate where cost is not an obstacle. As simple working-class folk I appreciate knowing this!
    So, has anyone used Wet-Edge? We're favoring the lighter colors for a blue water color. The pool is in full sun 12 hours a day, so we also need to go light to minimize the heat load.
    Thanks
    Pete
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: time for new plaster . . .

We've had lots of folks here use Wet-Edge, and there's no problem with the product itself. Any plaster finish can look great or horrible, depending on the skill of the installer!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

We are scheduled to have wet edge quartz - the color we chose is Barbados, It's a darker blue. We are a couple of weeks out I think, but I'll post pictures when it's done. Our PB said it's much smoother than even the pebblesheen finish and he's put it in several pools and loves it.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

4. Back To Top    #4

Wet Edge has pebble surfaces too, not just the polished surface. See the Pearl Matrix. http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/comp ... arl-matrix

I just had the polished surface put in (Prima Stone) and it's beautiful. Of course it's way too soon to talk about durability...
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would choose Wet Edge over PT for a lot of reasons, but mostly because I believe PT is way over-priced. I think WE is a fine product, and all the info I can find has been very positive. WE was started by defectors from PT and I think you can argue they are doing a better job. Certainly in terms of choice they are. Since I cannot get it, I'm going with a very good Quartz finish from CLI, and think it will be excellent. Good choice looking at Quartz. I think the finish is a place people skimp and that is one place you should spend as much as you can reasonbly afford. IMO anyway. Very important decision. We too are in the lighter camp for color for the same reason, but we are the oddballs. For some reason everyone seems to want the really dark finishes. Check out Wet Edges youtube channel...they have a ton of info and good videos of finished pools too.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

You can follow my Wet Edge install here:
    restoring-my-pool-t71681.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I too have Wet Edge Pearl Matrix (pebbles). Only good things to say about it though in hindsight I may have preferred putting the polished (Prima Stone) in the hot tub as I love the pebble in the main pool but a smoother surface in the hot tub may have made more sense.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

8. Back To Top    #8

A lot of people do something similar in spas like that or tiles for smoothness.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I also have the Barbados. It looks awesome with the Pure White LED light.

10. Back To Top    #10

Texasjeff - could you post a photo of your pool - would love to see the color?
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill