Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mosquitos

1. Back To Top    #1

Mosquitos

This morning after two days of our first rain storm of the season I went to test my water in my pool and had the following results:

FC 5
    CC 0
    ph 7.6
    TA 70
    CH 380
    CYA 50

On the surface of my perfectly balanced water was a layer of THOUSANDS of dead mosquitos floating around as well as a thick layer of them in the skimmer basket. Has anyone every had this happen? Why would mosquitos by the thousands be attracted to my pool water?
    Petaluma, CA., 11K gallon IG pool, white plaster, Nautilus FNS 36 sq. ft. DE Filter, Jandy 1.5 HP variable speed E pump, Pentair Booster Pump with Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pool cleaner, Jandy Laars LX Pool Heater, Remodeled (new plumbing, plaster, tile, coping, variable speed pump) January 2013. 400 gallon Artesian Island Spa (Ozonator/Chlorine), TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mosquitos

Haven't the foggiest notion why they would be attracted to your pool. Seems pretty strange to me. Has it ever happened before at any certain time of year? Really Odd.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

This is just a guess, but you say your pool was re-plastered this year, if I am not mistaken fresh plaster gives off CO2 (I may be mistaken on this ChemGeek where are you?) CO2 attracts mosquitoes, it is how they locate dinner, follow the CO2 trail to their victims, so maybe they thought your pool was food.

Ike

p.s. had you recently added Calcium Carbonate to your pool? (same effect)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I did not add calcium chloride but yes my pool was re-plastured at the beginning of the year. This is the first time it has happened. The only unusual thing about yesterday was that we had our first rain storm of the season. I don't have any other standing or stagnant water on my property either.
    Petaluma, CA., 11K gallon IG pool, white plaster, Nautilus FNS 36 sq. ft. DE Filter, Jandy 1.5 HP variable speed E pump, Pentair Booster Pump with Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pool cleaner, Jandy Laars LX Pool Heater, Remodeled (new plumbing, plaster, tile, coping, variable speed pump) January 2013. 400 gallon Artesian Island Spa (Ozonator/Chlorine), TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

I may have been mistaken. These winged insects in my pool might be gnats.

I found this post on another web site: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread ... nfestation

6. Back To Top    #6

Gnats make better sense. I had them.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, it sure would, we always get tons of em in the fall for some reason. Very annoying little buggers.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem