Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need replacement pump motor advice...

1. Back To Top    #1

Need replacement pump motor advice...

I have a Hayward Super Pump that is in need of a replacement motor with the following specs:
    A. O. Smith model# C48K2N143B1
    1 HP
    1.1 sf
    using 110V
    56j frame

Recommendations for a suitable replacement and best place to purchase are appreciated. I assume buying a full rate motor is best?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need replacement pump motor advice...

Welcome to TFP Terrance!

I think generally speaking Full Rated is best. There are some knowledgeable pump guys here that will answer you better. Enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Full rated or uprated really doesn't matter. Since you're just replacing the motor, you need to match the voltage, frame and sfhp.

Since you're looking to replace the motor, I'd suggest looking at a 2-speed model.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses.

Dave - Any suggestions as the best place to purchase, either online or in a store?

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

The Century B2973 would be a good choice 2-speed replacement since your current pump has 115V running too it. It is a little harder to find but here is a decent price: One other thing to keep in mind...I think your current motor is slightly smaller in diameter than the B2973 so as long as you have a spacer that can be removed on your pump support, it should be a drop in fit wise. See:

As to online verses store, I would think if you are diying it then you most likely will get a better price online.

You will also need to think about how your current pump is wired and how you will wire the 2-speed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Buffalo NY

I am so glad to have this forum. From what I have read so far, the coaching is well done.

I have put off replacing my motor mostly because of fear. With the knowledge here, I feel ready to move forward.

I believe that my pump is too old to update with a new pump. Perhaps it is not updateable. Given the age (23rd season coming up), replacing the pump and motor seems appropriate to me. My thought is a 2 speed, 110 volt, 1hsp motor with pump. I live in Buffalo NY, electric rate is decent compared to rates mentioned in other threads. I currently use a heavy duty timer from HD to control the pump.

Please suggest some options for me.
    Vogue 24' round above ground
    Hayward Pro Series S-166T-1575X Filter & Pump
    Installed 1991