Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help needed with AZ flagstone - time sensitive

1. Back To Top    #1

Help needed with AZ flagstone - time sensitive

Hi,

We're planning on using Arizona flagstone for our coping, and have selected 'buff' color based on the sample our pb brought over.

When the stone arrived today it was much more pink then the sample. It looked a lot like 'Rosa' option we didn't go with. I know stone color will vary from batch to batch, but should it really look like the next color scheme? On the image attached, the small chunk is the sample and the large piece is what was delivered (the dark spots on stone is water, wanted to see what it would look like wet)

[attachment=2:3lwks2ex]WP_20131120_001.jpg[/attachment:3lwks2ex]
    [attachment=1:3lwks2ex]WP_20131120_002.jpg[/attachment:3lwks2ex]
    [attachment=0:3lwks2ex]WP_20131120_004.jpg[/attachment:3lwks2ex]

The PB says it will weather and turn darker over time. Is that true? How long does that take? I've had other flagstone in my yard, and its color did mute a bit over time, but it took a while, from what I remember.

Are there any treatments that would help mute the color?

Should I insist on different stone or live with a pink pool for a while?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help needed with AZ flagstone - time sensitive

I don't think it changes color. If you don't want pink, then insist on different stone.

There is certainly variation, but I agree that looks like a completely different color.

Btw, you are not ever planning of a SWG system right? Not usually a good idea with natural stone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply... guess I need to plan a trip to the quarry to see what's there...

WRT to SWG, we are doing salt. The PB swears by the fact that he's done many pools w/ salt & stone, oldest being about 10 years, and haven't had any issues...

I've done a lot of reading on that subject and the opinions on it seem to be pretty evenly divided... might consider sealing it, as it would certainly make the stone look darker...
    28K IGP, AquaPure 1400 SWG, Inteliflow filtration, Inteliflow spa, pentair 1.5HP water feature pumps, pentair cartridge filter, 2.5 / 3" plumbing.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think some stone is more vulnerable than others. Either way, I'd go to the quarry, or better yet the stone yard if possible. We went out and selected the pallets we wanted there. Maybe you can do the same or similar. Good luck!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by garykli
    Thanks for the quick reply... guess I need to plan a trip to the quarry to see what's there...

WRT to SWG, we are doing salt. The PB swears by the fact that he's done many pools w/ salt & stone, oldest being about 10 years, and haven't had any issues...

I've done a lot of reading on that subject and the opinions on it seem to be pretty evenly divided... might consider sealing it, as it would certainly make the stone look darker...
    I've done the same and have gone with SWCG and a lot of natural stone. I would definitely recommend sealing it.

As for the color - I agree it looks different. It's your pool, if you're not happy insist they correct it for you.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah...if you aren't happy with the color, I'd exchange it for something different.
    Tracy

35' X 19' pool (pool depth: 3.5', 5.5', 4'. Perimeter 97) 2 HP Jandy (2 speed)
    Spa 9.6' X 7.4' (10 jets total- 4 on circ, 6 on 2hp booster, 6' cascade spillway to pool). Heater: 400 BTU LXi
    Tanning ledge and benches covered with stone. 2 LED pool lights, 1 LED spa light.
    PebbleSheen finish in Aqua Blue
    30" gas fire pit raised 18".

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the suggestions / ideas. The PB was cool about it and we're going o try to switch it to gold Idaho quartzite, if the cost of additional labor doesn't prove to be too prohibitive...

Anyone know how much more labor should I expect? Pb said he planned for 6 days of masonry work (3 guys), and quartzite will probably add 4 more... is that reasonable?

Thanks!

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't know. Does that mean extra time and materials for sawing? Typically the really big cost with non native stone is shipping. Obviously, the further away, the higher the cost.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

9. Back To Top    #9

That's just labor. The cost of material is negligible compared to the other stone. This is just hard to work with, per my PB.

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, maybe it is a whole lot harder. Four days sounds like a lot more, but if that's what it is, it may well be worth it. Rock that is mostly Quartz and very dense is certainly going to hold up better than many others.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

AZ flagstone will NOT "weather and darken" over time.....from what I can see in the pics, they shipped you rose flag, not buff.....

The only thing that typically darkens AZ flag is spilling a glass of wine on it when unsealed!

I've got flagstone patios on one of my houses....about the only weathering that happens to it is you can get an occasional "flake or chip" to lift up. Flagstone is kind of a multi-layered material.....and very porous....
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

12. Back To Top    #12

I will say that locally it is not uncommon to see the 2 colors in your photos mixed into a patio design......it's not a bad look, but if you truly wanted more of a "uni-color" beige then I'd make 'em replace the rose'.......
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.