Polished Concrete for Saltwater Pool

Feb 23, 2013
Hi: Thanks for all the great advice on this site. Has anyone ever heard of polished concrete for a deck coating of a saltwater pool and what are the pros and cons if so? I am getting bid to get new decking over my old Kooldeck which is chipping and peeling, and spoke to one masonry contractor today who suggested polished concrete as an economical way versus quartzite saying about 25% less. I do have palms near the pool which I believe are causing the cracking as the roots have gone into one of the returns I believe. Much mahalo for suggestions and help with this!

Attachments

• Palm Roots.jpg
    Palm Roots.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Palms and Cracking.jpg
    Palms and Cracking.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 121
Welcome to the forum guy! :wave:

I think the cracks could be normal cracking, but it's hard to say from here. Do those trees have some big roots as well? Even though there are lots shown here they don't look that big and strong. As for the salt, it is damaging to concrete, but you might get away with it out there with all the rain you get.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I am going to remove the palms before the deck work is started just to be safe. Any thoughts about polished concrete and durability or are there better materials to use particularly being here in Hawaii. Before buying the house, the palms were planted as that was where the hot tub was until it was removed because rain was causing runoff into it at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.