Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light bulb types

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light bulb types

Hi!

I'm looking at buying a replacement for my pool and not very keen on spending $400 for a Pentair bulb... I would also like to avoid buying the cheaper alternative 500W halogen bulb, which would cost me more in the long run... I found one in particular, designed for enclosed fixtures, 2000 lumens, 17.5W, omnidirectional light, which they say has a new technology which improves the cooling efficiency by up to 15 degrees Celsius, and I quote:
    "XLEDIA LED bulbs have passed tests in which the bulb was operated in an enclosed chamber at 60 degrees celsius, 90% moisture and for 1,000 hours."

Or if anyone has any pros/cons against using an off-shelf light bulb, I'd really appreciate the advice. Are pool light bulbs special and/or different in any way from regular LED bulbs?
    Thanks,
    X.
    23K Gunite / concrete - 1.5" plumbing, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Star Clear Plus 120 Sq Ft. Filter 1.5" Ports, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light bulb types

Quote Originally Posted by dvasadi
    Hi!

I'm looking at buying a replacement for my pool and not very keen on spending $400 for a Pentair bulb... I would also like to avoid buying the cheaper alternative 500W halogen bulb, which would cost me more in the long run... I found one in particular, designed for enclosed fixtures, 2000 lumens, 17.5W, omnidirectional light, which they say has a new technology which improves the cooling efficiency by up to 15 degrees Celsius, and I quote:
    "XLEDIA LED bulbs have passed tests in which the bulb was operated in an enclosed chamber at 60 degrees celsius, 90% moisture and for 1,000 hours."

Or if anyone has any pros/cons against using an off-shelf light bulb, I'd really appreciate the advice. Are pool light bulbs special and/or different in any way from regular LED bulbs?
    Thanks,
    X.

I just installed one of the 545's LED from these folks. http://www.ledpoollights.net/
    It has only been in a few days but works fine so far. Hopefully it will last a good long time and save me a few dollars on my light bill. 3 Yr Warranty sold me on it as much as the lower price vs others did. So far I'm happy but time will tell. Also, very prompt communication and shipping from them too. Excellent actually.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by dvasadi
    Hi!

Thanks,
    X.

I just installed one of the 545's LED from these folks. http://www.ledpoollights.net/
    It has only been in a few days but works fine so far. Hopefully it will last a good long time and save me a few dollars on my light bill. 3 Yr Warranty sold me on it as much as the lower price vs others did. So far I'm happy but time will tell. Also, very prompt communication and shipping from them too. Excellent actually.
    Are you able to tell me what light you were replacing with the 545s? And how do they compare in color, brightness, etc? Did you have to modify a light niche or anything to get them to work with your current set-up? And if it was a new pool, can you tell me how big your pool is and maybe how sufficient they are at lighting your pool? Thanks.
    24k gallon 16x38 IG shotcrete pool + 5x10 tanning shelf, Stonescapes Tropics Blue, Heat Siphon Z575HP Heat Pump (11.45 KW PV SunPower Solar), Pentair 3HP VS Pump 001018, Pentair SWG IC40, 2 Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 120v color LED pool lights, Pentair IntelliGlo 5G 12v color LED shallow water light w/300W transformer, Pentair DE FNS Plus 60sf filter, 24" rbb wall, 3.5-7' depth, TFT100 Test Kit, K1776 Salt Test kit, '07 Sundance Chelsee spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Great information. I too am very interested in the details of your pool and how it works. Also, has anyone tried off the shelf bulbs either LED or CFL's instead of pool lights?
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump