Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaves

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Leaves

Because I was leaving town for a few days, on Friday, I scooped the pool completely clean of leaves....even ran the robot to get the last 50 or so.....probably the 5th or 6th time I have scooped them this fall.

Here's what I had when I returned Monday afternoon...[attachment=0:bskwjr6z]leaves.JPG[/attachment:bskwjr6z] The ones on the bottom underneath the floaters are about 4-6 inches thick.

They have been scooped again and I am ready for my next dose of medicine.

The Pity Party will be at my house tomorrow at five....I'll have plenty to drink but you might want to bring one of those gauze face masks with you......there's gonna' be a bad forest fire in progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaves

Wow! And I was irritated by the one, mature silver maple my neighbor has about 15 ft. behind my pool.

45ish year old, 16x32, 19,000, IG, Concrete/Fiberglass Hybrid in need of restoration
    Sand filter with 3/4 hp AO Smith pump. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return

3. Back To Top    #3

How about a half dozen leaf nets put on before they start falling. Then you can peel one off once a week like they do the NASCAR windshields.

45ish year old, 16x32, 19,000, IG, Concrete/Fiberglass Hybrid in need of restoration
    Sand filter with 3/4 hp AO Smith pump. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Then you can peel one off once a week like they do the NASCAR windshields.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

We've got about the same problem with a combo of leaves and pine needles. I can vouch for how well those Leaf Catchers work. Even when a ton of leaves fall, I'm able to pull it off by myself and drag it to the yard. We put it on whenever the solar cover is on, if a storm is on the way, or in cases like your's when we'll be out of town for awhile.

They really are a cheap life saver.

In the mean time..........I'll bring my own net to the party.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I can vouch for how well those Leaf Catchers work. Even when a ton of leaves fall, I'm able to pull it off by myself and drag it to the yard.
    My pool is 25 x 53 and we tried, but could not pull a leaf cover that size when it has a bunch of leaves. Next we tried 3 leaf covers overlapped and taking them off one at a time.....still no go for two people....we couldn't control it.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what I'm afraid of, even if I could find a big enough cover, it would be such a massive job to pull it off, we would just dump them all in.

I just got my Hayward Extra Capacity leaf catcher for my suction side port for vacuum and cleaner, it's TINY compared to what I need (and you!!!)

My robot will only suck up a few leaves then it gives up.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I was actually thinking of asking you to post a picture of your woes. This really is an excessive amount of leaves.

You are the TFP poster child for leaf drop issues. When I get ready to start griping, Ill have this thread book marked to remind me.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah....a perfect case of not being prepared!! As "FALL" of the year can be predicted on every calendar, ya just gotta be ready on September 20-21 every year. I usually go up the the local K-Mart and hire a few Wino's. Have them wait under the trees and have them catch the leaves as they fall. As this activity only last a few minutes, the issue is contained post haste. I just really don't see what the problem is...........
    Sami
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

10. Back To Top    #10

Yea......
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

11. Back To Top    #11

I just showed this to my Wife and she was stunned. She thinks now...maybe our leaves aren't so bad. We will have quite a few, but nothing near this many, and certainly not anywhere as long. After this, she is seriously thinking we ought defer the mesh leaf cover... for now. So....what to do with the money that would cost?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

You could always buy some new tree and plant them...........
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by samiguy
    You could always buy some new tree and plant them...........
    Nahh, we just cut one down to make way for the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

14. Back To Top    #14

You could always move to the desert! It's real nice in the summer and all.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

15. Back To Top    #15

According to Dave I'm already there MITS! He asked me about our rainfall avg and thats when he decided it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

It's funny because living in MD, I've always thought about pools being closed by the time leaves begin to fall. So although we have to close our pools (and shovel our snow) we don't get the joy (and exercise) of netting fall leaves. But we also don't get to look at our big investments during the off months.

Thanks for posting the picture! That was a fun one. It's cool how "bad" a perfectly maintained pool can look!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Sorry to see that and hope it is cleaned up and clear now. I close (pay the pool store) and tarp cover around the first or second week of October and fight that load on my cover about 4 weekends in a row. If it doesnt rain, the Sthil blower helps, but it has always rained!?! Then I have to push and drag and throw.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have felt sorry for myself when my wysteria vine next to my pool drops its leaves in the fall/winter. After looking at your picture I won't complain anymore!
    Petaluma, CA., 11K gallon IG pool, white plaster, Nautilus FNS 36 sq. ft. DE Filter, Jandy 1.5 HP variable speed E pump, Pentair Booster Pump with Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 pool cleaner, Jandy Laars LX Pool Heater, Remodeled (new plumbing, plaster, tile, coping, variable speed pump) January 2013. 400 gallon Artesian Island Spa (Ozonator/Chlorine), TF-100 test kit, SpeedStir.

19. Back To Top    #19

Exactly, no more complaining about leaves in the pool or on the cover again. WOW!!

Bob E.

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

I must honestly say that I am enjoying the empathy from all of you. The Pity Party I held for myself was attended by my 2 dogs and my wife.....none of whom cut me much slack. The intentional forest fire was a bust as well. The falling leaves smothered it!

Actually, we can all take away from this goofy thread a reminder of what we all know deep down......each pool is unique and different.

As we proffer advice to others or receive suggestions, we should realize the always perfect answer (credit given to our pragmatic JohnT) is, "It depends."

PS - I cleaned up the leaves yesterday and then filled a 40 gallon container this morning. I am definitely "over the hump" as the trees that affect my pool just don't have that much more to give.
    Dave S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast