What should I do? Please help and thanks.

Sep 4, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've done a lot of reading here, and I am grasping the info fairly fine. I ordered TF100 testing kit.

Anyways..... I am a new pool owner and I have a few questions.

The pool had a leak because one of the construction crew guy fell in the pool with the hammer and some nails :grrrr: and until this week after many attempts by experts was found.
The shallow side was completely empty and now i filled about 3/4 full, about a foot below return lines.
Now here we go.... I get TONS of leaves, even though I have tried to keep it clean, I still get a lot and the pool is green, now that this is fix I am planning on finish filling and SLAM to get it clean.

1- should I wait until all leaves fall to clean up the pool? I'm thinking yes.
2- should I wait until spring to get it done? Or do it now and close once is clean? I bought a cover... But here in Charlotte, NC not many people close the pool.
3- since pool lost about 50% of water, CYA level should be low now right? ( it was over 90 when I moved in, pool company was using trichlor :?: but I already bought dichlor and going bbb)

I don't know what to do. Please advise. :cry:
Thanks.

I would take all of the leaves out NOW while you can see them. If you wait it will be MUCH harder as you will not be able to see them and they will make your water really nasty.

I do not close my pool or cover it. I have found that it is much easier to just keep it clean all year. As it gets cooler I add less chlorine and net out any leaves that fall in and call it good.

That way I can jump in as soon as it gets warm enough without any work at all!

Kim

I agree with kimkats. You need to net the stuff out of the pool (now or later)....may as well do it now while you can see it.

If you're going to keep the pool open all year, by all means, SLAM it now. If you're going to close it, I'd just wait and open early in the spring.

Whichever you decide, start reading now. There's a lot of info in Pool School, and it will take a while to absorb it, and even longer to truly understand it. Also, get familiar with Pool Math (link in Pool School).

Let us know what you decide regarding closing. If you do keep it open, we can help you limp along until you test kit arrives, at which point we'll help you SLAM it back into shape.

What ever you decide about cleaning the pool, don't use the dichlor until you test the CYA level. If the CYA level is 30 or more do not use the dichlor. As far as closing the pool and cleaning up leaves are concerned, some folks in warmer areas will temporarily close their pool until all the leaves have fallen. Since there is no hard freeze danger they don't lower the water level, they balance the pool, bring it to slam level and cover the pool until all the leaves have fallen. After all the leaves have fallen take the cover off the pool and keep it chlorinated throughout the winter. Run the pump whenever temps drop below freezing in addition to normal run times.

Thanks for all the great responses.
I am keeping the water clear of leaves. But I just get tons and tons of leaves. So...zea3 might be on to something.. A temporary close. If I keep it open during winter, how many hours do I need to run the pump? How often? Is it cost effective?

Stars26 said:
Thanks for all the great responses.
I am keeping the water clear of leaves. But I just get tons and tons of leaves. So...zea3 might be on to something.. A temporary close. If I keep it open during winter, how many hours do I need to run the pump? How often? Is it cost effective?
I'll let others chime in with specifics, but generally speaking the pump run time and FC demand go way, way down over the winter. Think 4 hours or less of run time per day, once the pool is clean and under control.

I have been clearing hundreds of thousands of leaves from my pool over the last nine years in the same geographic climate as you.

I suggest you get the leaves now. I have left them before and the job soon gets overwhelming.

Easier for me to take a huge job and break it up into 10 smaller jobs.

PS - you have more leaves coming for another 2-3 weeks and then the white oaks will drop again in the Spring.

Agreed, I did my leaves all at once the first year I owned this pool. Now we break it down into several jobs. As Dave said, it's overwhelming to have to take out tons of leaves after they've all fallen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.