Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter pressure does not increase

1. Back To Top    #1

filter pressure does not increase

Hi All,

I have been taking care of our pool for the past 3 weeks and everything has been going great. However, the sand filter pressure hasn't changed at all. The last time the filter was back flushed was on the 31st of October and since then the pressure has not gone up at all and has been sitting at 16 PSI. I know the gauge is working because when I just circulate the water in the spa the pressure goes up to 22 and then when it is the pool and spa it does come down to 16 again. The gauge was also very recently replaced and seems to work fine. However, I do not see any change. The pool looks good and all my TF-100 results are in my signature. The filter is a Pentair Titan II. Anyway the pool looks great so I am wondering whether I should back flush it or not. The pool guy who was taking care of the pol before I bought the house was back flushing every week and he told me to do the same but I am trying to follow the 25% pressure increase rule. Moreover, I would like to mention that I do not see any major change in the water flow but this is based on qualitative measures, i.e., the waterfall from the spa to the pool seems to look the same as 3 weeks ago. Please let me know if I should just back flush it or wait for the pressure increase. Thanks a lot.

Chris.
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Sand Filter Pentair Titan II
    Pentair Whisperflo single speed pump WFE 4 (1 HP)
    Built in 2005
    SWG equiped, Zodiac LM2-24
    CH 340, PH 7.8, FC 8.5, TA 90, CYA 80, SALT 4000, CC 0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter pressure does not increase

As long as your water looks good and the return flow is good you should be fine. If you plan to close it for the winter then you should back wash it at that time.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Unless you get mountains of dust in the pool, I wouldn't worry. It sounds normal to me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks well in Bakersfield the winter is so mild that I don't need to close it. I will leave it as is! Thanks again guys!
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Built in 2005

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown91
    Thanks well in Bakersfield the winter is so mild that I don't need to close it. I will leave it as is! Thanks again guys!
    This is one of the side benefits of using TFPC. Instead of your water just looking clean, it's actually clean, and it takes a long, long time to clog up a filter.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I am starting to see that. The pool maintenance person though was probably ruining the filter by flushing it every week. That kind of ignorance is quite unbelievable.

Thanks again.

Chris
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Built in 2005

7. Back To Top    #7

Just curious, what size is your sand filter?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

That I don't know... I will look it up and report back.
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Built in 2005

9. Back To Top    #9

I only have to backflush a couple times a year, 3 tops. Welcome to having a clean pool!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!