Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I'm in need of some help...

1. Back To Top    #1

I'm in need of some help...

I just had a 21' round above ground pool put up and filled. The power is not run yet, so there is no circulation. I followed the Pool Math calculation and added 1 gallon of bleach and used the brush to stir the water around for about a half hour and this was just before dark. The next day, I had FC level at 10. I went to put the cover on and it did not fit. It's a mesh winter cover that is 18' and the box is marked 21'. Joy!

I'm now waiting for the replacement to come in and it probably wont be here for a couple days. The PB told me to put 1 QT of algaecide (Gave me Algi-Sea 10%) and 2.5 gallons of chlorine in the pool and cover it. Now, I've read Pool School and this just does not seem right to me.

Since there is no CYA in the pool due too no way to circulate it, my FC is at 0 after a day or two. If I stick with the level at 10, can I add the Algi-Sea also? I understand I would have to add about a gallon of bleach every day until the cover comes in. The Algi-Sea instructions say that for a 10,000 gallon pool, the initial dose is 26 ounces.

Suggestions?
    21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm in need of some help...

It is common for the FC to drop after a day or two, even with CYA. The cover will help maintain your FC, but at this point you are most likely ready to winterize or drain, right?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to maintain the FC level to prevent anything from starting to grow, although 10ppm is VERY high considering no CYA in the water.

You could start floating some trichlor tablets which will help maintain the FC and be adding some CYA (although slowly).

The path forward kind of depends on what your plan is in the near term? Are just waiting for the cover on and then going to close it up for the winter?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is filled to a few inches under the return. I'm just waiting for the cover to come in and the. I'll put it on and wait for spring.

21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

So here's where I'm at so far...

Cover still hasnt arrived yet, so I went an picked up some liquid CYA since I dont have power run yet. Added 1 gallon CYA and 1 gallon bleach about 4 hours apart yesterday and mixed the water up by using the brush as a mixing spoon for about 30 minutes each time. What a workout!

My numbers at 12:45 yesterday afternoon:

FC - 9
    PH - 8
    TA- 90
    CH - 80
    CYA - 50

At 6:30 pm last night:

FC - 11
    PH - 8
    TA - 110
    CH - 80
    CYA - 50

At 8:30 am today:

FC - 10.5
    PH - 8

At 8:30 pm tonight:

FC - 9
    PH - 8
    TA - 110
    CH - 80
    CYA - 50

According to the Chlorine/CYA chart, my shock level should be 20 since I am not running a SWG right now. I will be in the spring when I reopen. Should I add another gallon of bleach before I cover or am I good with the numbers I have?

As far as the PH - do I drop that to 7.4-7.6 before I cover or will that drop on its own?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are just going to cover the pool, I am not sure why you added so much CYA. Just maintain the FC in the recommended range and raise it to SLAM level when you get the cover.

Ideally you should lower the pH as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I added the CYA because it is a new pool and just filled. Prior to adding it, 1 had to add 1 gallon of bleach every 2 days because the level would be 0 by then. I'm hoping to have the cover by Monday.

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't sweat the CYA, it's there now. It just raises your SLAM level higher, more bleach to add. I would get your PH down thou.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

It will lower when I open the pool in the spring and bring the water level back up.

Just to make sure I understand - raise FC to 20 according to the chart, lower PH to 7.4-7.6 and then cover until May. Right?

10. Back To Top    #10

For your SWG you'll want your CYA level to be 70-80 ppm when you start it up in the spring.
    Yep raise your FC level to SLAM level , get you PH down and cover her up. You should be good to go.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Forgot about raising the CYA to compensate for the SWG. Thanks for the help!

12. Back To Top    #12

Set the pH first, the test is not accurate when FC is greater than 10ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

That's right forgot that. Whoops
    Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks like the arms will get another workout stirring in that muriatic acid. Joy!

15. Back To Top    #15

But with the big guns you'll look good !! LOL
    Jeff