Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA low?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Austin, TX

TA low?

Just another big THANK YOU to all the contributors here. After 2 years being on BBB method my pool maintenance is almost zero. I haven't done a full test in 8 weeks, have not added any chemicals manually (only use DIY chlorinator), today's test results:

pH: a bit less than 7.8
    FC: 5.5
    CC: 0
    CYA: 45
    CH: 310
    TA: 60

I use the blue test kit weekly just to make sure FC is at least 4. I fill my 5 gallon DIY bucket to 4 gallon mark either Sat or Sun each week and check level maybe every 2 or 3 days to make sure level is going down at least 16 oz. per day. I throw my 4WD Aquabot in once per weekend (been collecting lots of acorns lately!). I brush my steps maybe once a week. So far only one start of an algae breakout about 3 months ago because I didn't notice my chlorinator had slowed.

Water temp 60F. Should I raise my TA or leave it alone until next spring?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: TA low?

Nice work. I think you could leave TA alone because of your seemingly stable pH.

I would suggest you check pH just a bit more often and then adjust your TA upward a bit if your pH fluctuates.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Tulare, CA

Re: TA low?

If your TA is in balance it helps to stabilize the PH if the PH is high the calcium will come out of solution and the water becomes scale forming leaving calcium deposits on the pool and equipment surface. Good water balance is important all year around