Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding in-line chlorinator...Good or bad idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding in-line chlorinator...Good or bad idea?

FC - 7
    TC - 7
    pH - 8
    TA - 40
    CH - ?
    CYA - 40
    Phosphates- 500

Hi, I'm new to this forum so bear with me if I make any mistakes. First off, I would like to thank in advance anyone taking the time to help me out with my question. This is a great thing everyone is doing and as you all help me I will try me best to help anybody in the future.

So I've had this pool for about 8 years and the maintenance has been done mostly by the same company. Long story short I came to this forum to learn how to maintain the pool myself, since I know no one take care of your stuff better than yourself. However, before I cut the pool service I wanted to install a Pentair rainbow 320 in-line chlorinator. I know some people have an issue with these because of the additional CYA they add to the pool via the tri-chlor pucks. However I feel it is a good product that can help my transition to the BBB method and inexperience. I'd like to hear what you guys think.....I've also attached a pic here http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... hoto-9.jpg of my equipment so that you can comment on possible installation tips or problems. Thanks!!
    1.) POOL: ~20,000 in-ground (plaster)
    2.) FILTER: Hayward MicroClear Vertical Grid D.E. filter (DE 4800, 48 ft. sq. , 96 GPM)
    3.) PUMP: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 hp
    ...pool was re-plastered ~1.5 yrs. ago
    ...small spa with jets but no heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding in-line chlorinator...Good or bad idea?

Welcome to TFP!

The problem with the chlorinator is that your CYA rises so quickly you may only be able to use it for a month or so before your CYA is too high. In my pool, I get about 7.5ppm per week CYA increase using a chlorinator. You don't have a winter or heavy rains to dilute your water, so you can't really afford to add any CYA at all to your pool.

If you want automatic chlorination, you would be better off to consider a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG).
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I 2nd what was stated above. I have an inline chlorinator on my new pool(mid August). I only used it for about 5-6 weeks before finding this sight. My CYA was already up to 73 after that relatively short amount of time. I turned it off somewhere around the beginning of October and have not used it since. My only source of chlorine has been bleach since then. Due to some heavy rains my CYA is down to ~65 which is till on the high side but quite manageable. The only reason I can foresee using the inline chlorinator again is for vacations and even then I hope to have someone who can add bleach for me. The bottom line is that there is a lot of information here that can seem intimidating at first but in practice is very simple. Just keep reading and asking questions and you will be ready for the switch in no time.
    13,000 gal. - IG w\ attached spa
    Cartridge Filter
    Plaster w\ mini rock finish

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Echoing what has already been said, using pucks to chlorinate your pool will only be effective for a while. Installing the puck dispenser is fine but I would think of it as a supplement rather than a primary method for chlorination.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by altusfirst
    FC - 7
    TC - 7
    pH - 8
    TA - 40
    CH - ?
    CYA - 40
    Phosphates- 500

Hi, I'm new to this forum so bear with me if I make any mistakes. First off, I would like to thank in advance anyone taking the time to help me out with my question. This is a great thing everyone is doing and as you all help me I will try me best to help anybody in the future.

So I've had this pool for about 8 years and the maintenance has been done mostly by the same company. Long story short I came to this forum to learn how to maintain the pool myself, since I know no one take care of your stuff better than yourself. However, before I cut the pool service I wanted to install a Pentair rainbow 320 in-line chlorinator. I know some people have an issue with these because of the additional CYA they add to the pool via the tri-chlor pucks. However I feel it is a good product that can help my transition to the BBB method and inexperience. I'd like to hear what you guys think.....I've also attached a pic here http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb4 ... hoto-9.jpg of my equipment so that you can comment on possible installation tips or problems. Thanks!!
    I've highlighted the three problems I see.

One: those are pool store test results. Phosphates are immaterial, unless you're in the business of selling phosphate removers. If you want to take control of the pool, get your own test kit yesterday. It sounds like you've been reading here, so you probably already know what we recommend for a kit. The pool store is just not reliable enough. Here's an older thread you probably haven't seen. It makes the point very well: inconsistency-in-readings-t61728.html

Second: pH is too high

Third, there's not much to transitioning. You don't need an automatic chlorinator. If you can use a measuring cup and pour milk into a glass, you have the skills needed to balance your water. Take a reading, plug the numbers into calc.html and add what's needed. A couple minutes a day, that's it. Brushing and vacuuming should be less than an hour. That's pretty much it. In a couple weeks' time, with a little coaching from us, and you'll have the clearest, sparkliest water you've ever seen.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the quick response!! Your suggestions back up what I was originally feeling. I always though adding it would just complicate things. I will take the leap and start maintaing my pool myself, and the troublefreepool community, by next month.

I recently bought some 6-way strips that measure the FC, Alkalinity, PH, and CYA. Would that work fine while I save up some money to buy the more accurate kit??? Any tips on what to start stocking up in??

Also Leslie's pool supply store is about a half mile away from my home and they do free water test (where I got my initial readings). So my plan was to check the pool every other day or so with the strips and do a full check at Leslie's every month. What do you guys think?
    1.) POOL: ~20,000 in-ground (plaster)
    2.) FILTER: Hayward MicroClear Vertical Grid D.E. filter (DE 4800, 48 ft. sq. , 96 GPM)
    3.) PUMP: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 hp
    ...pool was re-plastered ~1.5 yrs. ago
    ...small spa with jets but no heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the quick response!! Your suggestions back up what I was originally feeling. I always though adding it would just complicate things. I will take the leap and start maintaing my pool myself, and the troublefreepool community, by next month.

I recently bought some 6-way strips that measure the FC, Alkalinity, PH, and CYA. Would that work fine while I save up some money to buy the more accurate kit??? Any tips on what to start stocking up in??

Also Leslie's pool supply store is about a half mile away from my home and they do free water test (where I got my initial readings). So my plan was to check the pool every other day or so with the strips and do a full check at Leslie's every month. What do you guys think?
    My thoughts....strips are worthless. At best they tell you nothing, at worse they mislead you into doing the wrong thing. The faster you get the good test kit, the faster you save money by only putting in chemicals that you need.

As for Leslie's testing, you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't stock up on anything yet, except maybe a few gallons of bleach. Remember, the whole philosophy of this method is to only put in what you need. If you don't need it don't buy it, and if you haven't done a test yet, you don't know what to buy.

Bottom line, the faster you cut the cord and completely immerse yourself in the TFPC method (pun most definitely intended) the more money you'll save and the better off you'll be.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

I could not agree with Smykowski more.

The strips are worthless and the testing at pool stores has been repeatedly found to be inconsistent and inaccurate ... but they will always have something to sell you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

If you want a more automated way to dose liquid chlorine (bleach), you may want to try installing The Liquidator. I did and it seems pretty trouble free and cheap.

10. Back To Top    #10

I think you didn't read the link I posted. inconsistency-in-readings-t61728.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Take the money you are thinking of spending on strips and buy yourself a few beers....it'll be better spent.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

Speaking of strips, anyone know a better way to test borates than the strips? I can't tell anything from them, but can't find an alternative.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I can't tell anything from them
    Are they completely unreadable? Expiration date?
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

Expiration date was cleverly covered by another unremovable label. Likely expired as I could determine from the lot number that they were over two years old.

15. Back To Top    #15

Your link didn't work for me. I notified the Administrator about it, and I thought you would like to know also. I know there are some server issues going on right now and that may also be the cause, however I think this is an important article and would like to read it. Kindly
    Soloman

Approx. 17K gal, IG concrete gunite surface, Hayward C2020 200 sq. ft. cartridge filter, 2 hp Hayward Super Pump, 70's Anthony & Sylvan, Taylor K-2006 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

How's about taking the money for the chlorinater and buy a test kit instead? I know a good kit isn't cheap but the TF100 is a deal and a half! Before I came here I spent much more than the cost of a kit in one trip to the pool store. (And still had bad water.) I used a chlorinater also and pucks and powders--you get the idea. My CYA was so high that I didn't have to add stabilizer for 2 summers. I did have to use more chlorine though. Also, because of my location I lost quite a bit of water over the winter and it still took 2 seasons to get my CYA at an ideal point.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir