Just making sure I have done all I need to do.

swilk

Jul 23, 2011
Southwest Indiana
Aside from the chemical process of closing a pool ...... here is what I have done.

I have individual pipes for each of two returns, 2 skimmers, 3 deck jets and a main drain. Each pipe lands at the pad with a union.

I did not drop the water level at all ... auto cover.

I took loose the unions from the equipment pad and physically removed the lines from the filter, pump and heater. I drained the lines.

I removed the plug from the sand filter.

I removed the plug from the pump. After letting the water drain from the pump I poured antifreeze into the basket area until antifreeze was running out of the drain plug hole.

I removed the brass eyes from the pool end of the deck jets and used a shop vac to blow them out from the pad. Once most/all water was blown out I poured antifreeze into each pipe from each end. I closed the valves on the pad end and replaced the brass eyelets (sideways so they are closed off) on the pool end.

I purchased threaded plugs with the o-rings.

Using a shop vac I blew each return line from the pad end. After several seconds of just bubbles coming out of the return and while the shop vac was still blowing I screwed a plug into the return. I then poured anti freeze into each return line from the pad end and closed the valves.

Using a shop vac I blew each skimmer line from the pad end. After several seconds of just bubbles coming out of the skimmer and while the shop vac was still blowing I screwed a plug into the line. I then poured anti freeze into each return line from the pad end and closed the valves.

I made a cap with a valve stem for the main drain and used a compressor to blow out the line. After several seconds of just bubbles I closed the valve and removed the cap with the valve stem. I poured a tiny bit of anti freeze on top of the valve ball and was getting bubbles from air slowly bleeding past the valve. I put the cap/valve stem back in place and opened the valve again. Using the compressor I ran more air through it. Closed the valve and left the cap/valve stem in place.

From the electrical panel end I poured antifreeze into the conduit for the Color-Logic light .... it is my understanding that these lights allow water to get into the conduit. There is no way I can think of to blow the conduit out??

I placed a 75% full gallon anti freeze jug in each skimmer. Upside down. This keeps about 2" of the jugs bottom above water line and the rest under the water line.

I have thought about, but not done, taking a second partially full anti freeze jug and squeezing it into the skimmer mouth.

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I missing anything.

Hate to be a pest but this is my first winter with my first pool and I dont want to mess it up.

Thanks in advance.

It gets cold here but not like further north. Zero and slightly below are possible each and every winter .....

I did do a couple of extra things.

I took closed cell pipe insulation and wrapped the mouth of the skimmers with it. I figure that would give about 1/2" of cushion on each face of the opening in the unlikely event the water freezes solid.

I also took a half full gallon of antifreeze and wedged it into the skimmer mouth.

I am not worried about the pipes at all .... they are pretty much full of anti freeze. I am apprehensive about the skimmers though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.