pool leak help

Nov 18, 2013
Ive notice over the past several weeks my pool is losing an inch of water or more per day. Ive tried injecting dye around possible leak points with no luck. The water level seems to drop faster with the pump off but not considerably. The pool stops losing water when the water level drops about an inch below the skimmer mouth opening. Any help would be appreciated.

If this is a inground pool. What I usually do, is plug the skimmer lines and see if it still leaks. This puts the plumbing out of the question. I guess you could do it with above ground also

Thanks for the reply. It is an inground pool. I will try plugging the lines next and post results. There are no visible cracks in the skimmer and the dye test didnt reveal anything leaking in or around the skimmer. Yes i did the dye test with the pump off. I havent ran the pump for several days to see at what level it would stop leaking.

Since my last post, i had a leak detection service come out. He pressure tested the plumbing and ruled out any leaks there. Found out i was losing some water thru the pool light conduit. It was sealed off but i was still losing the same amount of water. He came back with some equipment that identifies leaks in vinyl liners. It indicated a leak where the ladder meets the vinyl. I have what i need to patch the vinyl. The problem is i dont see any holes or tears in that area. There is a crease in one particular spot but i dont see a break and dye doesnt seem to suck into the area. Should i just patch over that area anyway and see if the leak stops? If so, do i need to trim that area thats creased? Im not sure the patch would bond unless the surface is flat. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.