calcium chloride vs calcium chloride dihydrate

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am trying to understand if there is any great difference between the two calcium chlorides except the dehydrate takes more added to the pool to get the same results. The best I can tell Leslie's sells the dehydrate version which desolves in the water very fast once it's applied. I wonder if the other desolves as rapidly too? Anyone who is knows the differences and performances it would be appreciated to hear from you. Many thanks in advance, John

They are both fine to use and act similarly.

One caution: When adding calcium chloride to a pool with cold water, it's important to brush the calcium in quickly and thoroughly, otherwise the calcium can harden into a solid pile that sticks to the floor.

I'm not sure at what temperature it begins to become more of an issue. I would recommend brushing it in quickly and thoroughly every time to be safe.

You could pre-dissolve it in a bucket. However, don't exceed about 1.5 pounds per gallon of water or the water will get excessively hot.

As a followup to my earlier post today I broadcasted some calcium chloride into my pool here in South Fla. The water temperature was 78 degrees. This was NOT the dihydrate calcium chloride. I found that at the deep end of 6 feet most of it had desolved before it reached the bottom. However the larger flakes that did reach bottom desolves rather quickly. Just a little brushing did the trick. I took my time and only broadcasted about a half of a pound at a time and let it desolve then applied another half of a pound, etc until all 5 pounds were added to the pool. It didn't take very long to apply it this way and I was trying to avoid the clumping that was mentioned in an earlier part to this post.....BTW ask at your local pool store if the carry the calcium chloride in a bag......It's a heck of a lot cheaper than that calcium chloride dihydrate they sell in the cans on the shelf. Hope this is of help, John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.