Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring 220 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring 220 2 speed pump

Curious as to wire a 2 speed 220 pump correctly. My main concern is does a wire go to the neutral buss in the sub-panel?

Hayward 2 speed tristar has 3 wires, black (high), red (low), and white. I ran white to one of the 220 power, and black/red to the other power led via a switch. I also ran a wire(green) from the pump grind to the panels ground buss

Do a need a forth wire? I thought a wire went to the neutral buss in the sub-panel. I thought it was needed for GFI. I am I missing something?

I also wired the heat pump with only 3 wires, 2 power and (1) ground.

I am just setting things up and will have an electrian go tru it before I turn the juice on.

Any thoughts/help
    Thanks
    Daren
    DRB
    16x32 20K IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Grid DE4820 w/ 2-speed 1.5HP Hayward TriStar pump with a .75HP impeller installed, AutoPilot Digg-220

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring 220 2 speed pump

No there is no connection between the neutral and the motor.

How are you switching the speeds on the motor? Sounds like you added an external switch. If so, you would run one LINE directly from the breaker to the common terminal on the motor. The other LINE from the breaker would go to the switch and from the switch you would need 2 wires that run to the motor and hook to the High and Low speed terminals. You would also need to run a Ground wire from the ground buss to the motor as it sounds like you have done.

Sounds like you have done it correctly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Wiring 220 2 speed pump

How are you switching the speeds on the motor?
    I am using an Autopolit SWG as the switch. I didn't want to compicated my question on weather I didn't a fourth wire to the netrual buss.

Thank you for the reply, I can now run my wires an conduict.

Daren
    DRB
    16x32 20K IG vinyl, Hayward Pro Grid DE4820 w/ 2-speed 1.5HP Hayward TriStar pump with a .75HP impeller installed, AutoPilot Digg-220