Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large Pool Leak??? I NEED HELP!

1. Back To Top    #1

Large Pool Leak??? I NEED HELP!

I have an in ground pool that has lost 6-7 inches in one week. I filled the pool back up. Turned off the pumps installed one of those bubble wrap covers and still lost 6-7 inches the next week. I see no exterior cracks or water leaking anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large Pool Leak??? I NEED HELP!

If the circulation is off, the water level should drop to the location of the leak. Have you had any changes in the pool recently that might explain the loss?
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

3. Back To Top    #3

no recent changes, last spring I had the skimmer replaced.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, mnrland

I does sound like you have a significant leak. As MiaOKC mentioned, if the leak is more towards the top of the pool, letting it leak down until it stops is a fairly easy way to find a leak, especially if it turns out to stop at the bottom of the skimmer. Also, take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...leak_detection
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The skimmer is the most common area for a leak.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached).

This information may help us track down the location of your leak, and adding it to your signature makes it easier to keep track of your information while we narrow things down.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I found the problem... I let the pool leak down and it finally stopped draining at the level just at the skimmer height. I looked inside the skimmer were it meets the pool and it had a crack at the bottom and both sides. Simple fix with some pool epoxy and no more draining down of the pool.

Mike

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Good work, Mike!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.