Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which is best SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which is best SWG?

I'd like to install a SWG over the winter. Is there any consensus on which is the best? I'm thinking of getting the Pentair. Anyone know of negatives on its use versus other SWGs? Amazon sells the Pentair power center 520556 and the IC40 as separate units. Is this all that is required? Thanks for any input you can give.

Dean
    docelect
    30k gallons in-ground vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb sand filter
    Polaris cleaner, T15 Hayward SWG
    Jackson, Mississippi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which is best SWG?

You will hear pros and cons for all of them. If you want to go automation at some point, get all the same brand, like all Pentair. Pentair has great support, but be warned they are considering dropping support for items bought mail order, including Amazon.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by docelect
    I'd like to install a SWG over the winter. Is there any consensus on which is the best? I'm thinking of getting the Pentair. Anyone know of negatives on its use versus other SWGs? Amazon sells the Pentair power center 520556 and the IC40 as separate units. Is this all that is required? Thanks for any input you can give.

Dean

I have the Pentair IC40 SWG and yes, the power center and cell is all there is to it.
    The controls and indicators are on the salt cell itself and covered by a tinted slide off plexiglass (or whatever type of plastic) cover.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Without full automation, isn't the Pentair limited to 20% output increments? This could make it more difficult to dial in the correct output.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have an AutoPilot PoolPilot Digital. If I was buying a new salt generator right now, I would likely buy this one:

http://www.inyopools.com/compupool-cpx- ... rator.aspx
    27' round Above ground w/sand filter
    17100 gallons calculated
    Nashville, IL

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Without full automation, isn't the Pentair limited to 20% output increments? This could make it more difficult to dial in the correct output.
    yes - we have an IC-40 and Jandy automation. It is limited to manual selecting 20% increments.
    The guy who spec'd it said the Pentair was enough better that this restriction was worth the tradeoff.
    We have been able to keep FC basically OK, mostly.... we change from 20 to 40 and back every so often.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all for the replies. I have been looking at the Aqua Rite and the Compu Pool as well as the Pentair. The Pentair says the cells are good for 10,000 hours, but I don't find any rating for the Aqua Rite or the Compu Pool. What have real-world user experiences been for these 3 SWGs? The Compu Pool is low priced, but I see a lot of negative reviews on Amazon's site. The downside of the Aqua Rite seems to be periodic replacement of the control board. I'd be interested if anyone has experience they could share.

Dean
    docelect
    30k gallons in-ground vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb sand filter
    Polaris cleaner, T15 Hayward SWG
    Jackson, Mississippi

8. Back To Top    #8

Often the Hayward does not need a new board, it just needs a new current limiter soldered on ... only costs a couple bucks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I have found the AquaRite to be a good SWG.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool pilot nano + here. Ran it all summer and installed myself. I highly recommend it.

Make sure you price replacement cells. Pool pilot ones are nearly half the cost from www.saltpoolguys.com vs the MSRP listed on their website. I bought my system from them.

Do some reading- I read about lots of compu-pool issues here on the forum.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool