Poolside Bathroom - a good idea?

JonR77

Nov 17, 2013
We are drawing up our plans for a new pool build. One thing I would like to add is a small bathroom (attached to a pool storage shed). We always feel bad swimming at other people's pools and then having to track water through their house to get to the bathroom! Also, I imagine that some folks from time to time decide to choose the easier option of just staying in the pool to do their deed! :roll:

We get cold winters in Omaha so I know it would need some winterizing each year. Is this something that is easy to attach with the rest of the pool plumbing? Do most pool drains go into the main sewer line which we could then use to attach the toilet? Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

A poolside bathroom is a great addition. We added one after our first season with our pool. It saves tracking water through the house and makes a great changing area.

Winterizing it is fairly easy. Just use the same antifreeze you use in the pool equipment. It probably doesn't take me 10 minutes to winterized mine. I have a basement, so the water lines drain into the house, but you may need to make some other arrangement.

There is normally no connection between pool plumbing and your household plumbing. You may have a connection from the waste line on the filter to a storm sewer, but that varies with locality. Most of the time the waste water is just pumped into the yard.

Thanks for the information! Getting the waste line from the toilet/sink to connect up with the existing home's main line may be tricky, but could probably be done. It would be easier to run a new line directly to the street and add a new hook-up point to the city's sewer system, but I'm sure that would be costly! We'll have to talk to our pool builder (whenever we get to that point) about our options.

If you can do it I strongly suggest having a pool side bathroom and a separate pool side changing room with a shower in it. My pool house just has a bathroom with shower, and it seems constantly someone is needing to use the bathroom while someone is changing and using the shower.

We don't have air running in our outdoor bathroom, so sometimes mold can become a problem, especially during a humid/rainy summer like we had this year. Just be diligent about giving it quick cleanings during the summer and you'll be good to go!

I think it's a fantastic idea... but as noted - getting supply and waste lines to a detached building can cost $$'s depending on where they are.
If you do add the shower you can consider a small on-demand hot water heater as an alternative to running off your domestic hw supply.

One of the bathrooms for our house happened to have an exterior door near the pool, so that was nice.

I am thinking next year that I will be adding a "pool house" / shed near the pool for storage and may add an exterior shower/changing area next to it using an on-demand type heater ... or maybe start with a couple solar heating mats on the roof for the shower which may be enough to rinse with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.