Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do SWG systems attract bees and wasps?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do SWG systems attract bees and wasps?

We have read that SWG systems attract bees and wasps more than a traditional chlorine pool system does. We have bee allergies in our family which is why this will be an important decision for us. I've read that they are attracted to the salty taste of the water. Any advice?
    Looking to build in Omaha, NE.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Do SWG systems attract bees and wasps?

I now see that seems to be a common belief but I have never had a bad problem with them.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

I've come across the topic a few times while researching SWG systems... a quick google search found an example of a post:

It doesn't look like their question was answered in this post, but in this example the asker had just converted their pool to a SWG and then noticed all the bees beginning to flock to their pool. I"m not convinced that this was the reason the bees started showing up (maybe a beekeeper brought in a nearby bee hive and so it was just a coincidence).

If you don't have any problems with your SWG that is good news!

Anyone else have experience in converting a pool to a SWG and then noticing an increase in bees?
    Looking to build in Omaha, NE.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas, TX

No increase in bees or wasps on my pool after converting.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

Still dipping big old bees out of my regular water pool in November. I can't imagine salt would be any worse!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Elverson Pa.

My regular water pool attracts some bees,but nothing out of control. They hang around the ladder drinking the water it seems like.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.