Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaf Stain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaf Stain?

Today just notice two leaf stains bottom of pool while I was removing some leafs. Tried to remove stain with brush, no help. I have the filter on for 3 hrs a day, and cleaner for 2 hrs a day. I didn't realized that a leaf would stain a pool that quick, I remove leafs every day, if not every other day.

Pool temp. is 64 degrees, I would hate to jump in and try to scrub with green pad

Any suggestions in removing stain, Pool chemical reading as of 15th Nov:
    FC: 2.0 (added 21 oz. of bleach)
    PH: 7.8

Other chemical reading as of 4th Nov:
    CC: .5
    TA: 70
    CH: 340
    CYA: 40

I just never seen that before!!

John
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaf Stain?

If you keep FC at the high end of the range, it will likely fade away in a few months. If you want to try speeding it up, set a trichlor puck on it and then check it every few minutes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Rich,
    Do you suggest during the fall season I keep my FC target on high end (CYA chart: 5) to prevent leaf stains?
    This is my first year for fall with the pool. I'm afraid to use a puck on it, because to much Football and Nascar on TV to monitor the puck

In mean time I will get new FC readings during commercial and bounce off the calculator and readjust to high end. Thanks

John
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

New reading FC: 2.5

Adding 53 oz. of bleach to reach my target of 5ppm. I thought I would save some money on bleach to keep FC on low end during fall & winter, but now I'm thinking to keep on high end during fall and low end during winter.
    Still planning on using the spa during fall & winter. Thanks

John

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Rich,
    Do you suggest during the fall season I keep my FC target on high end (CYA chart: 5) to prevent leaf stains?
    This is my first year for fall with the pool. I'm afraid to use a puck on it, because to much Football and Nascar on TV to monitor the puck

In mean time I will get new FC readings during commercial and bounce off the calculator and readjust to high end. Thanks

John
    It won't prevent organic stains, but it will bleach them out. Don't let the leaves sit there and you won;t get stains.

In cold weather, you'll find chlorine loss is pretty low, so keeping it at the high end of recommended won't use very much extra bleach.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!