Hi and help needed from the Frozen Tundra (WI)!!

Nov 17, 2013
Hello all!

I am about to shamelessly BEG in the pool closing forum for any assistance, with the promise to be back with more fruitful contributions after resolution of my current emergency!

I'm just a nice research scientist in the pharmaceutical industry with a 28' round above-ground that I've been able to (miraculously) maintain to a spectacular degree for the past 7 years by simply reading posts such as these to keep me on the right track! Long story short? I married my loving, completely non-pool-saavy husband, inherited a couple kids, my dad had a couple heart attacks, I started my own company, and life got NUTS. The end result is a dreadful, neglected mess of a pool...for the entire summer...

The *only* reason I'm posting is because I had a new liner installed last summer and am deeply afraid of ruining it (if it's not already toast) :hammer: . I have a 2 day 'weather-window' to do what I can, to save what I can, and to put a lid on this poor thing until spring.

If you think you can help in a crunch, PLEASE follow me to the pool closing forum where I'll lay out my timelines and continue my plea!!!

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda....
Cindy

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If the pool is a swampy mess and thats all, I wouldn't worry too much about the liner being ruined. At the same time, I wouldn't worry about trying to clear it up in two days, either. I'd just close it up now, then over the winter read as much as you can. Open up really early in the spring (as soon as the threat of freeze is passed) and SLAM it then.

HELP! It's green. It's gonna freeze. Need PRIORITIES!!

CINDY'S BIG QUESTION: Do I 1.) Drain it to winter-level, cover it, and let it ride?....or....2.) Attempt a halfway cleanup job THEN drain and cover?...or....3.) Close all the curtains in all the rooms facing the pool until spring and try not to think about it?...or...4.) *insert your idea here*?? I only have a COUPLE DAYS to finish everything and make my peace with the situation.

I'd like to preface by saying I've read all that I've had time to read about my situation and am still unsure of what to do....I did post an introduction with some personal stuff, but here are the COLD, hard facts....

- 28' Round, Above Ground, Bowl-shaped, NEW LINER LAST SUMMER (ARGH)
- I'm in Wisconsin (weather.com for 53132 should help sum it up)
- The pool was uncovered, but never 'opened' - yes, it's been growing things
- It's dark green. Ugly.
- Not filled to a level (yet) for the pump to work (plumbing not yet hooked up, but it's do-able)
- DE Hayward....works like a trooper...totally awesome
- I *do* have a HEATER...does this help me at this point???
- Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Pool Stores all within 10 mile radius and I have an SUV to haul...whatever...back to the pool

My thoughts are that my priorities need to be: 1. Get the water to winter level, and 2. Get it covered and secured.

Should I bother trying to clean, kill the green, and get to some semblance of clarity? It's gone a summer neglected, are sub-zero temps *REALLY* going to make things worse? If I get at it early in the spring, would that be a more effective use of my time?

I beg you not to tell me what I *should* have done....it's way too late for that....plus that would make me cry! :cry:

Any help is overwhelmingly appreciated!!
Cindy

Mod Edit: I merged and moved both of your topics. Keeping all the info (and getting all the answers) in one place is easier for everyone.
--Smykowski

Welcome to TFP.
Another vote for cover it up and deal with it in the spring. Open up as early as possible and do the SLAM process. pool-school/shocking_your_pool
You will also need a good test kit to do the SALM process. These are the ones we recommend. pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
Do some reading in pool school during the off season. Any questions lots of people hear to help you out.

LOVING the way you are both thinking!! I'm seriously low on energy from the past year of chaos, and covering it is my first instinct and a solid SLAM in early spring *seems* to make the most sense to me...really just needed to hear it from someone who knows more than I do about pools - THANK YOU!!!! Would you say the biggest NO-NO at this point would be NOT draining it down? I've always faithfully drained to 6" below the skimmer at closing...this is a MUST, right?

I'm staying connected if anyone else wants to chime in!! :-D

THANK YOU!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.