Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf eater

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaf eater

Looking for something to help with leaves on the surface of my pool. Saw the pool python, comments on it or any competing systems are welcome. Prefer pressure side.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaf eater

Never heard of it. Do post a link, as I may be interested in something similar for mine.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm. Ill have to check that out some more.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's my issue. I removed all leaves from my pool last night before bed. This morning, this is what I woke up to. And across a pool the size of mine, this can be a lot of daily work.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh jeez, that may be worse than what I'll have to deal with!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

Look back at the deck where the diving board goes (it's out at the moment while they wire my light)

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

You might need two
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

I might!!! Can't wait for it to get here to see how well it does. I'm starting to get quite an accumulation on the floor, but I can't run anything on the floor yet. I'm hoping if I can keep them off the surface, it'll greatly minimize how many get to the floor. Now that I have eyeballs on the pool, I am able to adjust the flow of water and have a nice, slow, vortex going across the surface. I'm pretty positive I can direct the leaves into the skim.

11. Back To Top    #11

I talked with duraleigh yesterday, and after hearing his leaf situation it's hard to have sympathy for anyone including myself. That
    man has some leaf issues I'm telling ya!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

12. Back To Top    #12

I have pool skim. One of the best purchases I have made.

Schedule a pump high speed run for an hour a couple of times a day and it takes care of the issue completely. Just need a oompa loompa with it to empty the bag and fetch me drinks.

And I have leaves just like that pic.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

13. Back To Top    #13

I've seen mixed reviews on the Pool Skim. Some love it, others not so much. Plus, running your pump costs extra $$. While a little more expensive, I'd go this route if I had that bad of a leaf problem- http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Breeze-0048 ... B00DF7WCWE.
    35'x16' IG geometric with 8'x6' spa (16.5K gallons); White Diamond Pebblesheen w/Abalone Shells; Jandy 460 cartridge filter; Jandy 2HP E pump; Jandy 400K heater; Water Tech Blue Diamond Pro; TF-100 w/SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

Since I have an Intelliflo VF pump, my options are endless. Today the leaves are much worse than what you see in that picture!!!

I got the skim through Amazon on Prime, if it stinks for me, I can send it back.

$465 huh, I don't think my leaves are THAT bad!

15. Back To Top    #15

I don't know. $465 annualized over the next 5-10 years with zero power output doesn't sound so bad to me. Especially since it'll also keep the bottom of your pool cleaner, reducing the cleaning cycle of your bottom feeder, by preventing some of the gunk that's on top from sinking to the bottom.

I also prefer the convenience of just lifting the skimmer out of the water, whereas the pool skim requires a little more effort to remove.

Also, the pool skim could cause some potential issues with pool cleaner cords.

Anyway, I guess varying opinions is what keeps all these wonderful companies in business!
    35'x16' IG geometric with 8'x6' spa (16.5K gallons); White Diamond Pebblesheen w/Abalone Shells; Jandy 460 cartridge filter; Jandy 2HP E pump; Jandy 400K heater; Water Tech Blue Diamond Pro; TF-100 w/SpeedStir

16. Back To Top    #16

The one comment about the bag not being big enough would be a huge problem for me. I have a HUGE black walnut tree (among others) that dumps tons of leaves into the pool at this time of year. And my pool has plenty of surface to catch them with, that's for sure!

I don't plan on having the pool skim and cleaner in the pool at the same time. Judging by what I see on the website though, I don't think it would interfere with my robot, don't know on the suction side cleaner I have on the way.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'll be interested in hearing your review!

18. Back To Top    #18

Pool cleaned this morning, now it's covered in leaves again. Installed the PoolSkim today. Pump is running on a very low speed, 1500rpm. The other three returns are wide open. PoolSkim could use more pressure, but as you can see by the picture it's doing its job. I was reading the old thread about PoolSkim, saw the recommendation for the return nozzles below, and ordered them. Not sure when I'll have them yet, but I'm expecting good things. Plus I can run my pump at a higher speed once the pool start-up is finished (just replastered) since I won't have to run it 24/7. So far I'm pleased, can't wait to see how much better it operates with the other returns mostly closed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L8 ... UTF8&psc=1

19. Back To Top    #19

Good deal. Let us know how it works out.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

20. Back To Top    #20

Wow, Robbie. I can never complain about the miniscule stuff that blows in my pool ever again!!
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast