Winterizing AGP-Full take down-What to do with dirt area?

My current challenge is what to do with the 4 inch deep 14' circle in my yard over the winter. My concern is if I leave it bare won't animals (deer in our area), rain, snow, etc., help soften the 4 inch "wall" and cause more issues when setting up the pool next season? I spread, taped, and cut 10 4'x5' store display material (1/16 inch thick plastic) on top of the 1" of sand to cover the 14' hole and help minimize rocks and bugs from coming out of the ground. I then put the Intex supplied ground cover on top of the store displays. I also used discarded plastic shelving - 2'x 6'x 3 inches as decking around the perimeter of the pool. Worked surprisingly well as I had some tubes to connect the shelving vertically that helped create table side areas right next to the pool for putting towels, drinks, etc. on. I also stored the solar cover on top of one of these shelves while in the pool.
Option A: Take up everything and leave the 4 inch hole exposed to the winter elements and deer traffic.
Option B: Leave the display and ground cover/tarp where it is and place all the plastic shelving on top of the Intex tarp to keep it down and discourage animals from going near the hole. My concerns are snow, rain, etc. getting onto the shelving and tarp material and possibly dealing with a mossy, dirty mess when putting the pool up next spring.

Thoughts?

Really-no replies to what to do w/Crop Circle dirt area?

Sorry for the second post (topic title "Winterizing AGP-Full take down-What to do with dirt area?") has nearly a 100 views, but no replies.

Maybe all the AGP enthusiasts that have taken their pools down for the season are taking a hiatus from TFP, but I'd appreciate it if you would put the TV remote down for a minute and share what you have done.

If you took down your pool, and plan to put it back next season did you:

a) Do nothing and are leaving the crop circle exposed to the elements?

b) Cover the crop circle with a tarp to hopefully keep snow/rain/ice, etc. from damaging the integrity of the circle walls?

In my case, I have a 4 inch wall that can be jeopardized by animals stepping on the edges and even though I plan to additional work to the base next season, leaving the crop circle exposed would impact the sand base I created. On the other hand, putting a tarp over the crop circle will not keep everything out and I may end up with a nasty soup of material that will have to be dealt with and will probably cause odor when temperatures finally warm in the spring.

It would be great to get some feedback - especially from those that have taken their AGP down more than just one winter and can detail the pros and cons resulting from their solution.

I need to make a decision in the next couple days - Thanks!

Re: Winterizing AGP-Full take down-What to do with dirt area

Bumping this one would have been good enough. :)

I suspect most of the people that take their pool down have already done so and have stopped visiting the forum.

I would probably cover it with a tarp and anchor it down and then repair whatever damage has been done next year. Whatever you do, you're going to have some work to do next year.

Maybe you could put some landscape edging around it on the inside to try to brace/protect the ledge you have .... then fill it with water and let it freeze and have a skating rink :mrgreen:

jblizzle said:
Maybe you could put some landscape edging around it on the inside to try to brace/protect the ledge you have .... then fill it with water and let it freeze and have a skating rink :mrgreen:

There isn't a full 4" banking/edge around the entire pool or I would gladly pursue the ice skating rink option!!! The pool was set up in a drainage portion of my yard for several reasons. Not the best option, but it worked for many reasons. The low end is to the left of the SWG. Here are a couple pictures:
- http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/photo ... f.jpg.html
- http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/photo ... 6.jpg.html

Currently there is about an inch of water in the low end area. The opposite side is dry. The goal is to maintain the 4" edge where it currently exists, keep the sand platform as in tact as possible, and prevent a nasty sludge from forming.

I left mine uncovered and I do have landscape edging around the lip. It does make it difficult since I have a English crème golden retriever who thought it was really funny to dig/play in the mud after a rain. I should have bought a tarp and staked it down to prevent the little four legged creature from making me give her a bath every time I let her out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.