Pool mess

JeffW

Jun 8, 2008
A couple of months ago my salt system failed and the pool got completely out of hand. The pool was as bad is can be

Fibreglass in ground 12000 gallons.

Drained pool and there were bad stains and some black algae used pressure washer and it does nothing to remove stains. I know acid is no-no, any ideas??

JeffW said:
Drained pool and there were bad stains and some black algae used pressure washer and it does nothing to remove stains.
Based on the information in your post about the SWG failing which would lead to low FC levels, black algae is a distinct possibility. If it is indeed black algae, brushing is just as important as elevating the chlorine level. Black algae forms a protective film over itself and this film needs to be broken down so the chlorine can get at the algae itself. I would brush the surface twice a day. Also, if you have a pool light, I would disassemble and clean out the niche. Same goes for any ladders or removable steps, if applicable to your pool.

Any way you can post a pic? Since you mention "bad stains and some black algae", it is possible some stains could be metal-based. This may be a bit of a long-shot, but I'm going to put it on the table: I have read a few posts where "overspray" from granular lawn fertilizers/treatments containing iron can also result in "black dot" stains that look similar to black algae. Any chance this could have happened in your case? A quick way to rule out metal stains is to take a vitamin C tablet and gently rub it on the stain for about a minute. If it fades, then it is a metal stain.

I ended up completely draining the pool. taking apart filter and cleaning it. I also cleaned out all the pipes. I then sprayed pool with bleach and washed off. I scraped the black algae and hope that I got is all. Refilled pool and it looks good. Will wait till spring to tackle salt system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.