Why would they wire it this way?

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Hello - I have an intermatic pf1202t timer running a pump for an auto a kreepy krawley and a swg. They wired it so the timer on the left turns on the swg and is in series with the timer on the right for the pump. Therefore to run the pump, both timers need to be on. For the most part the swg runs more than the cleaner pump so I just overlap them. But now we are heading into winter and I was going to shut the swg off. I cannot do this through the timers since they both need to be on to run the cleaner pump. I can set the swg at 0%, but this does not shut the pentair swg off, the flow switch still looks for flow and if the main pump is not on, it just keeps trying. I thought about rewiring it but man are there a lot of wires. I could just let if go and let the swg come on at 0% or I could remove the swg fuse or unscrew the swg from the could from its power supply but this leaves the swg connection exposed to the elements.

What are you thought?

Thank you,

Anthony

So the main pump runs on it's own program?
Then the swg runs on the first timer?
Then the booster pump runs on the second timer?

If all that's correct, they have the timers wired as if the main pump ran on the first timer.
Have you recently changed from a non-vs pump to the vs pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main pump runs on its own program
The swg runs on one timer
The booster pump runs on the second timer but this is in series with the swg timer. In other words, the booster pump cannot run unless the swg is on no matter how it's timer is set.

No, this was a new install this summer.

Thank you,

Anthony

They set it up as if the main pump ran off the first timer with the swg. That's a normal install when you have a non-vs pump and the second timer in series keeps the booster pump from running unless the main pump is running. The vs pumps don't get hooked to the timer so it makes the normal setup not make sense when connected like yours.

It would have been nice if the pump mfg's would have put a set of dry contacts out of the drive to send the run status to a timer or relay. But they didn't. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.