Vacuum hose question

Jan 6, 2013
Hey guys,

I am about to purchase a vacuum head and am a bit confused about what size hose I need to get for it. Our skimmer holes are 2" but pretty much all of the hoses I am finding online are 1 1/2". It appears that since the connector is tapered that it would fit both sizes but would really like to know this before having it shipped to me. I am leaning towards getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-33...8&qid=1384626327&sr=1-1&keywords=pool+hose+2"

Can anyone confirm if this will work with a 2" hole?

Thanks!

My pool also has a 2" line from the skimmer. I use a skimmer plate that fits in the skimmer with the skimmer basket still installed. The plate has a connection on it for 1-1/2" hose. If you search on Amazon for "skimmer vacuum plate" you will see what I mean. This way if you vacuum up leaves and such they are trapped in the skimmer basket and not the pump basket. Hope this helps.

My current skimmer has a 2" hole and the inlet is structured with a recessed lip so that you can just stick a 1 1/2" inch cuff into the hole and the vacuum creates a good seal--no adapter needed. You might try it that way. I've been vacuuming through a skimmer since 1962 and never used a cover plate. I have nothing against them but I never saw the need. It takes me under 30 seconds to dump a pump trap. I'm sure cover plates didn't exist for the 1962 aluminum body skimmer with brass basket.

I built this adaptor with the tailpiece for a bathroom sink and a threaded coupler. The coupler sits on a lip inside the skimmer hole, no way for it to get sucked down in. Somewhere on this board there's a tale by someone who lost the collar down the suction pipe when just shoving the hose in directly.

[center:2zuib453]
file.php
[/center:2zuib453]

Richard320 said:
I built this adaptor with the tailpiece for a bathroom sink and a threaded coupler. The coupler sits on a lip inside the skimmer hole, no way for it to get sucked down in. Somewhere on this board there's a tale by someone who lost the collar down the suction pipe when just shoving the hose in directly.

That would be a neat trick. I assume it could only happen if the suction were completely blocked through the hose and the cuff collapsed and then got pulled in. I guess it could happen if you were vacuuming a ton of crud, but I always leaf rake the nasty stuff out when there is any and I know better than to vacuum more stuff than will go easily through the hose. This is not a risk that scares me enough to change what I've been doing since 2004. I vacuum weekly as I choose not to own a cleaner. It could also happen if your hose kinked and blocked, but that also requires some incompetence. And once there is a good kink in your hose, consider it ruined for just this reason. I've been vacuuming going back to when the hoses were wire reinforced canvas that needed copper floats to stay up so I know what I'm doing.

Nice job on the adapter, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.