Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum hose question

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum hose question

Hey guys,

I am about to purchase a vacuum head and am a bit confused about what size hose I need to get for it. Our skimmer holes are 2" but pretty much all of the hoses I am finding online are 1 1/2". It appears that since the connector is tapered that it would fit both sizes but would really like to know this before having it shipped to me. I am leaning towards getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-334...pool+hose+2%22

Can anyone confirm if this will work with a 2" hole?

Thanks!
    20k gallon AG pebble pool in Austin, Texas. All Pentair equipment (DE, IC40 SWCG, heatpump, variable speed pump with aux pump for the cleaner). Built in 4/2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum hose question

My pool also has a 2" line from the skimmer. I use a skimmer plate that fits in the skimmer with the skimmer basket still installed. The plate has a connection on it for 1-1/2" hose. If you search on Amazon for "skimmer vacuum plate" you will see what I mean. This way if you vacuum up leaves and such they are trapped in the skimmer basket and not the pump basket. Hope this helps.
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

My current skimmer has a 2" hole and the inlet is structured with a recessed lip so that you can just stick a 1 1/2" inch cuff into the hole and the vacuum creates a good seal--no adapter needed. You might try it that way. I've been vacuuming through a skimmer since 1962 and never used a cover plate. I have nothing against them but I never saw the need. It takes me under 30 seconds to dump a pump trap. I'm sure cover plates didn't exist for the 1962 aluminum body skimmer with brass basket.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

I built this adaptor with the tailpiece for a bathroom sink and a threaded coupler. The coupler sits on a lip inside the skimmer hole, no way for it to get sucked down in. Somewhere on this board there's a tale by someone who lost the collar down the suction pipe when just shoving the hose in directly.

[center:2zuib453][/center:2zuib453]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I built this adaptor with the tailpiece for a bathroom sink and a threaded coupler. The coupler sits on a lip inside the skimmer hole, no way for it to get sucked down in. Somewhere on this board there's a tale by someone who lost the collar down the suction pipe when just shoving the hose in directly.
    That would be a neat trick. I assume it could only happen if the suction were completely blocked through the hose and the cuff collapsed and then got pulled in. I guess it could happen if you were vacuuming a ton of crud, but I always leaf rake the nasty stuff out when there is any and I know better than to vacuum more stuff than will go easily through the hose. This is not a risk that scares me enough to change what I've been doing since 2004. I vacuum weekly as I choose not to own a cleaner. It could also happen if your hose kinked and blocked, but that also requires some incompetence. And once there is a good kink in your hose, consider it ruined for just this reason. I've been vacuuming going back to when the hoses were wire reinforced canvas that needed copper floats to stay up so I know what I'm doing.

Nice job on the adapter, though.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.