Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumis stone to remove tile scaling?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumis stone to remove tile scaling?

I have some pretty bad scaling on my tile. Im getting ready to do and acid wash on the pool but im not sure the acid will remove it all. I ran into a pool contractor at my local Leslies yesterday who told me to try to scrub it of with a pumis stone? Has anyone done this before? I dont mind using a little elbow grease I'm just wondering if it works?
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumis stone to remove tile scaling?

Yes, it works. It sounds awful when you're doing it, too. You'll swear you're grinding the glaze right off it, but it doesn't appear to harm the tile at all. It also works to get rid of the calcium line in the toilet bowl.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Where the heck do you get a pumis stone at I havent seen these thing around in years?
    My pool:
    Built 2004, 14K gal, IG plaster,Pentair WhisperFlo 2 HP pump(1 speed), Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    In Floor cleaning system, Attached Spa with Spillover seperate WhisperFlo pump for jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JT2006
    Where the heck do you get a pumis stone at I havent seen these thing around in years?
    Hardware stores. Pool Stores. Check the houseware aisles, they use them for scrubbing restaurant grills too.

I found this at the 99 Store. Waaaay cheaper than anywhere else. http://www.uspumice.com/pages/pumie-directions.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Richard!
    My pool: