Getting ready for an Acid Wash

JT2006

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Southwest Arizona (Yuma)
Ok I tried the vitamin C and the Chlorine tablet on several spots around the pool and neither one removed or even lightened the stains in my pool. So yesterday I picked up some Muratic Acid and tried that on the first step of my spa. Stains came right out. So Acid Wash it is.

I know the basic procedure and have a basic idea of the supplies I need but just wanted to get some pointers from the pros here.

I will have about 5 days to get this done. How long does it take one of those sump-pumps to drain a 15K Gallon pool?

A submersible pump with a 2" hose will drain your pool in about 6 hours and the acid wash will take about 4 hours 2 days to refill. I should warn you the acid will etch the plaster then you will have rough plaster and that can cause black algae problems in the future due to the fact that black algae has a root system like any other plant and grows easily when the plaster is rough.

poolsupplysales said:
A submersible pump with a 2" hose will drain your pool in about 6 hours and the acid wash will take about 4 hours 2 days to refill. I should warn you the acid will etch the plaster then you will have rough plaster and that can cause black algae problems in the future due to the fact that black algae has a root system like any other plant and grows easily when the plaster is rough.

Thanks for the honest advice I want to do the acid wash because as you can see in the pic it looks terrible. I realize the added potential for algae but we plan to get the plaster and tiles redone in a couple of years so this get us by until then hopefully

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 231
Looks like some nasty copper stains...almost certainly cause by (over)use of copper sulfate algeacides. If you get black algae (which can be prevented), it will still look better than that!

Do you have a main drain? If you do, you might be able to just pump to waste with the main drain as your suction...depends on how the plumbing is set up.

So are you ever going to post those pics of the "after" acid wash? I've been considering it myself but want to see just how much better it looks after. My pool was not well taken care of all of it's life, I am trying to restore it to ok looking until I can fix the other things that were not taken care of with this house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.