Chlorine Generator recommendations

MSI

May 30, 2012
Miami, FL
Hi,

I want to your recommendations / experience for Chlorine generator for 40k pool in Miami. Also note that I have a single speed pump (1.5 hp), which runs for about 6-8 hours / day year round.

Do I have to replace the pump with variable speed type to run it for longer period for sufficient chlorine production? I am happy with single speed pump with cost of electricity about $0.14/kWh but if I have to run the pump for say 20 hours - it will not be cost efficient. In this case do recommend variable speed pump.

Thanks

Reason for conversion - expect to travel for work lot more.

I would recommend either the Pool Pilot Digital with the CC-15 cell that is rated at 67,000 gallons or the Pentair Intellichlor with the IC 60 cell which is rated for 60,000 gallons.

You will most likely need to increase your pump on time during the summer months to make enough chorine from either of these units. I'll take a wild guess that you will most likely have to run 10-12 hours during the summer with a high % output on the cell.

Following this thread with interest as we are also in Miami and looking at SWCG.
Ping, would you recommend the Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG? That is being recommended to us by our PB.

Pool will be IG, 19,500 gallons (still in design phase).

Being in roughly the same location with the same horsepower pump, I can tell you my electric bill dropped around 50-100 dollars when I dropped my pump from 12 to 6 hours. I would recommend if you want to go this route to find a chlorinator that will chlorinate the pool in 6 hours

Hi,

I want to your recommendations / experience for Chlorine generator for 40k pool in Miami. Also note that I have a single speed pump (1.5 hp), which runs for about 6-8 hours / day year round.

Do I have to replace the pump with variable speed type to run it for longer period for sufficient chlorine production? I am happy with single speed pump with cost of electricity about $0.14/kWh but if I have to run the pump for say 20 hours - it will not be cost efficient. In this case do recommend variable speed pump.

Thanks

Reason for conversion - expect to travel for work lot more.

Following this thread with interest as we are also in Miami and looking at SWCG.
Ping, would you recommend the Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG? That is being recommended to us by our PB.

We recommend sizing the SWG 1.5-3x the size of your pool. That Aquapure 1400 looks sized around 35k. So that is about as small as I would go. It makes around 1.25 lbs/day while the Hayward and Pentair 40k cells produce around 1.4 lbs/day ... which is what I have on my pool which is slightly smaller.

As jblizzle stated, the Hayward and Pentair make more chlorine than the Aquapure for the comparable sized units and you will not have to run the pump as long during summer. I have had so so results with the quality of the Aquapure, fortunately I had a three year warranty to cover all my problems and I have had good service where I'm at.

My Aquapure is very sensitive to the flow rate when I run at low-speeds. With my plumbing setup, I'm right at the low end of the required minimum flow rate when I run on low-speed. Some of the other brands require less than half the amount the Aquapure requires. Personally, when my SWG dies I will be switching to a 60k rated Pool Pilot Digital as it will fit more in the demands of my pool. We have a high chlorine demand in the summer due to 8 hours of lessons, 90 degree water temps, and then our family use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.