Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Question

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Question

I'm not very experienced with working with PVC.

I made a connection with a 2" coupling and some cement slopped into the other end.

Will that mess up my using the coupling, or will the new primer and cement melt the slopped stuff? I can still do a dry fit ok.

Thanks.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    8500 gal gunnite pool, built in 2005. Sta-Rite PXC95 Filter, Intelliflo VSP 11018, Heliocol 350 sq. ft. Solar with Goldline GL-235 controller, Heatwave H120 Heat Pump, SwimPure T-3 SWCG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Question

As long as it is only a small amount, and does not interfere with the pipe going all of the way into the coupling, it will be fine.

3. Back To Top    #3

The dry fit will not go ALL the way in, but that's the way its supposed to fit isn't it? Goes in about 2/3, which is all it did on a fresh coupling.
    8500 gal gunnite pool, built in 2005. Sta-Rite PXC95 Filter, Intelliflo VSP 11018, Heliocol 350 sq. ft. Solar with Goldline GL-235 controller, Heatwave H120 Heat Pump, SwimPure T-3 SWCG.

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as you get the pipe in at least 1.25 inches deep, it should be fine. You can always scrape out the glue if you feel like it's in the way. Or, you can redo the fitting if necessary.

5. Back To Top    #5

You are just fine, Paul! If you have seal now you should have no issues at all. There is not a hard and fast rule on entry depth. It is typical for dry fit not to go in all the way. And depending on brand of of fitting or pipe it can be different often.
    Mesa, AZ Spillover spa and inground pool, 12,500 G, pebble finish, Hayward C5030 (525sf) Cartridge Filter, Hayward EcoStar VS Pump, Installed July 2013, Hayward SWG T-Cell-15, Trident UV (I know, I know....was installed before I found this site!) Rock grotto waterfall, LED ColorLogic lighting, 110 BTU Heat Pro Electric Heat Pump, Maytronics Dolphin Supreme M5 cleaner, TF-100 test kit with Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Got it done. Thanks for the answers.
    My concern was that while installing a new pump, I was hooking into the system with a fitting that, if screwed up, would make major work!
    BTW, VSP installed, wonder why I waited so long to dump my 1.5 HP single speed!