Pool drained and its winter. What now?

Aug 18, 2012
New pool owner here. Have an inground, I believe gunite. I think I screwed up here but I drained the pool with the intention of repairing the waterline tile that was a mess. (HUD home pool was uncared for at least 1 year). My plans were delayed and now is I may not be able to fix the tile in the near future due to other reasons and I am concerned about float. We experienced some random low temps her in northern arkansas so i went ahead and winterized the pool. I live on the side of a large hill so I am well above any waterline but not sure if that fully matters. Is spider webbing a real concern?

What should I do?

1. Leave drained all winter?
2. Refill now even though pool is winterized?
- if so how do I address chemistry of new water without pump running?

Ground can shift regardless of elevation. Rain water soaked ground can expand and contract when it freezes. I'd fill it back at least half full if you can't get to that tile project until much late. Do you have a cover for it? Safe is a whole lot cheaper than sorry in this situation.

Yes I have a cover. I hope to get one more year out of it before I replace it next year.

I will fill the pool half up an just wait till spring to repair the tile. How much do I need to worry about water chemistry when I refill since the pool is already winterized?

Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.