Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBB levels for a not really closed, closed pool in Dallas

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB levels for a not really closed, closed pool in Dallas

Just finished reading Jason's pool closeing procedure and realized I'm not really closing my pool. Not going to drain it or blow out any lines. The pump and systems stay active all winter and automatically come on if temps get close to freezing.

My question:

Do I make any adjustments to the recommended BBB levels for the winter?

Current levels:

FC 8
    CC .5
    PH 7.6
    TA 80
    CH 200
    CYA 45
    20k Gal, IG Plaster(I think), DE filter Pentair FNS Plus 48 Sqft, 1 speed pump, cleaner Polaris 3900
    **I don't own this pool, but have been tasked with caring for it**
    Pool is 27+ years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB levels for a not really closed, closed pool in Dalla

Not really. Just maintain the levels in the recommended ranges. You will just find that the FC lasts a LOT longer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can probably back off to testing once a week too!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I did notice the FC already holding steady much better. Dropped only 1.5 in 7 days.

Thanks for info guys!
    20k Gal, IG Plaster(I think), DE filter Pentair FNS Plus 48 Sqft, 1 speed pump, cleaner Polaris 3900
    Pool is 27+ years old

5. Back To Top    #5

I just keep my pool balanced as I do in the swim season. I don't feel guilty if I don't check it but once a week, as they said above the pool stays balanced a lot longer. FC goes down slower, and I can run pump a whole lot less, and since the SWG and pump are running less, my pH doesn't raise as fast. In 2011 when it was so cold here for a long period of time, I had no issues with anything freezing.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    I just keep my pool balanced as I do in the swim season. I don't feel guilty if I don't check it but once a week, as they said above the pool stays balanced a lot longer. FC goes down slower, and I can run pump a whole lot less, and since the SWG and pump are running less, my pH doesn't raise as fast. In 2011 when it was so cold here for a long period of time, I had no issues with anything freezing.
    Good point, didn't think of that. Currently the pump runs 7 hours a day. Which is down from 12-15 hours a day that I had to run it when I was apparently going by Troublesomepool.com standards. What do you recommend for run time? And does it even need to run every day?
    Pool is 27+ years old

7. Back To Top    #7

Run it enough to keep the pool clear. This will vary from pool to pool. Mine seems to be fine at about 4 hours per day. This year I have to refigure, as I put a new VF pump on.

I would run it every day just to keep everything mixed up. Besides, my timer won't let me schedule anything but every day.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!