New pool filling. Now what?

Jul 19, 2013
Runnemede, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
The pool build is done and it's currently filling with water. I have to throw the cover on for the winter and I know the water has to be treated, but what chemicals and target levels? The SWCG wont be hooked up until spring but I do have the salt in the shed already.

I've read Pool School many times and I'm pretty confident with keeping the pool balanced, but there are no articles pertaining to a new fill. Unless I missed it of course!

The power hasnt been run yet, and wont be for a few more weeks. That takes the pump and filter out of the equation. I have a test kit and plan on running the numbers as soon as I can and I will post them here when I do.

With it being a vinyl liner idk why you would need to wait with the salt. When we do liner replacements we put salt in right away. If it were plaster then yes you need to wait cause of pH balance issues. But for warranty issues I would check with the PB to be sure

There's only so much you can do without circulation. Start with a test. Decide if you want to chlorinate with pucks or liquid bleach until the SWG is up and running, then adjust pH as needed accordingly. Pucks will lower pH, so you don't want to start out lowering pH and then lower it even more with pucks. If you choose not to use pucks, then you'll need to add CYA too, which will be difficult to do efficiently without the pump going.

As for the salt....why put it in if the SWG isn't up and running? If you get winter rains or snow, you'll lose some water to overflow and lose salt with it, before the salt ever had a chance to do anything for you.

If you have kids, why not wait until the water is warm enough for them next spring, and then add the salt? Check out the highlighted post here.

I'm not adding salt until the spring when everything is running. I plan on using bleach. If I just add the bleach and adjust the ph, would I have to add CYA if I'm putting the cover on when it's done filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.