Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool filling. Now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool filling. Now what?

The pool build is done and it's currently filling with water. I have to throw the cover on for the winter and I know the water has to be treated, but what chemicals and target levels? The SWCG wont be hooked up until spring but I do have the salt in the shed already.

I've read Pool School many times and I'm pretty confident with keeping the pool balanced, but there are no articles pertaining to a new fill. Unless I missed it of course!

The power hasnt been run yet, and wont be for a few more weeks. That takes the pump and filter out of the equation. I have a test kit and plan on running the numbers as soon as I can and I will post them here when I do.
    21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool filling. Now what?

EDIT - that is what I get for assuming it was an in-ground.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is the pool vinyl liner or gunite?
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a vinyl pool. Above ground.

21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

With it being a vinyl liner idk why you would need to wait with the salt. When we do liner replacements we put salt in right away. If it were plaster then yes you need to wait cause of pH balance issues. But for warranty issues I would check with the PB to be sure
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Since you have a test kit, you can go ahead and test your fill water and we can help you with adjustments, if any.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

There's only so much you can do without circulation. Start with a test. Decide if you want to chlorinate with pucks or liquid bleach until the SWG is up and running, then adjust pH as needed accordingly. Pucks will lower pH, so you don't want to start out lowering pH and then lower it even more with pucks. If you choose not to use pucks, then you'll need to add CYA too, which will be difficult to do efficiently without the pump going.

As for the salt....why put it in if the SWG isn't up and running? If you get winter rains or snow, you'll lose some water to overflow and lose salt with it, before the salt ever had a chance to do anything for you.

If you have kids, why not wait until the water is warm enough for them next spring, and then add the salt? Check out the highlighted post here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not adding salt until the spring when everything is running. I plan on using bleach. If I just add the bleach and adjust the ph, would I have to add CYA if I'm putting the cover on when it's done filling?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter75
    I'm not adding salt until the spring when everything is running. I plan on using bleach. If I just add the bleach and adjust the ph, would I have to add CYA if I'm putting the cover on when it's done filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably not. You won't lose anything to UV if it's a solid cover.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

It's not a solid cover. It's an Arctic Armor mesh winter cover.

11. Back To Top    #11

Test results are in!

FC - 0
    PH - 7.6
    CYA - 0 (or under 30, but water was WAY clear)
    TA - 80
    CH - 110

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Good numbers. If it was my pool, I would bring CYA up to around 20-30 for over the winter and bring the FC (and keep it there) to about 2-3 ppm. Everything else is just fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School