How often to backwash DE filter?

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
I think this discussion was talked about in 2010. But like to get a new response!

I have a Hayward 48sf DE filter. PB suggested to backwash every month and clean twice a year. When I cleaned my filter for the first time in Sept.2013, psi gauge indicates 25psi after cleaned. Also when I backwash monthly, it also indicates 25 psi after backwashed. I had this pool now about 9 mo. and every month the psi gauge indicates 27 psi, only 2 psi increase a month.

(25 psi x 25% = 32 psi) Should I just wait till I see 32 psi before backwash and continue to clean twice a year? I think I'm just wasting money on DE powder... Thanks

John

I agree with Richard. You should figure your baseline pressure after a thorough cleaning: use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

And then only backwash when the pressure rises 20-25%. Recharge with about 80% the normal DE amount. And then break it down once a year. Sounds like you are doing more work than you need to.

That is also higher than usual pressures ... likely due to the very powerful pump and low-to-mid sized filter. It is a good size for your pool volume, but might be a little small for your big pump (at least when running on high).

Thank you for the info.

After bi-annual cleaning and monthly backwashing, my baseline has been 25psi. Must be the big pump and small filter set up. But thats ok, I like having the extra water circulation. I think i will start backwashing only when gauge indicates past 30psi. Right now its indicating 28psi, only rised 3 psi in 90 days. BTW, the gauge does read 0 when pump is off, also it indicates 8 psi on low speed.

Thanks, again. Love this website :-D

John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.